Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'm starting to get embarrassed to show my work here, the caliber of slingshots being posted recently has gotten so awesome
But I know there's a few of us here who still like rugged naturals and use relatively primitive tools to make them. We can't all be experts, but we can all have fun, right?

Anyway, this natural is the result of a couple of experiments. One had to do with aging the wood, and the other had to do with finishing.

First of all, I read from Baumstamm that you could cut a green fork and boil it in salt water instead of aging it, to keep it from cracking. So last Saturday, I cut this fork green. Then I took it home, stripped off the bark, and and boiled it for about an hour in heavily salted water. Then I let it dry for a couple of days, after which I carved it and sanded it smooth.

The next experiment was in coloring. I diluted some ordinary green poster paint in water and rubbed it on, then wiped it off before it dried. I let that soak in for a few minutes, then I repeated the process with some brown paint. Then I let it dry for a day (or 2?).

I then re-sanded with 350 grit wet & dry and applied a flood coat of linseed oil. Let it dry another day and applied another flood coat. Finally one more drying day and a polish with a soft cloth. It's an overcast day today, so the pics don't really do it justice. The finish is nice, trust me.

With one of my favorite knives

Look at the little branch coming out: it was in just the right spot for a firmer grip

This is really made for flat bands, but I have had these tubes from BunnyBuster (Tom) sitting around too long and wanted to put them to use. I shot pretty good with them.

Well, that's my experiments, hope someone finds them of use. Thanks for looking.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Don't ever be ashamed of your naturals my friend!!!! They are our origins and always beautiful and functional!!!

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
The only thing I see wrong with your natural is the tubes, in stead of flats.
-- Tex

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
-- Tex
If I ever get some black thera band, that's what will go on it, Bill.
(since that's what it is designed for)
Too bad they don't make thera in camo.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
-- Tex
If I ever get some black thera band, that's what will go on it, Bill.
(since that's what it is designed for)
Too bad they don't make thera in camo.
[/quote]

Excellent fork and finish Bill! No shame in your work or any natural... don't even think it.
Funny you're lookin for TheraBlack
and I'm waitin on delivery...hmmm howz *that* work ?!! I may be able to help ya out a bit - lemme know 'k?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Great fork there Dayhiker, naturals will always have a following I'm sure. Very cool knife too, very old design there..mind if I ask where you got it.

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great fork there Dayhiker, naturals will always have a following I'm sure. Very cool knife too, very old design there..mind if I ask where you got it.
Of course Harper, It's a Svord Peasant knife from New Zealand. They aren't expensive, but they are a heck of a nice knife. I think the design is Belgian, about 300 years old.
You can see more about them here: http://www.svord.com...ves%20index.htm

-- Bill

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Thanks Dayhiker nice little knives

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I have a Svord Peasant with a black handle. I bought it with the intention of changing the handle. You should do that too; it'd really make it unique and beautiful.

·
Resigned
946 Posts
Very nice, I like it a lot. You can be just as creative with naturals, I think you have proved that with this.
I like the knife to, I think I will have to try one of those. I like the simple design, is it a carbon steel blade?
Martin

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I like your slingshot too Dayhiker, it shows a lot of creative thought.

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very nice, I like it a lot. You can be just as creative with naturals, I think you have proved that with this.
I like the knife to, I think I will have to try one of those. I like the simple design, is it a carbon steel blade?
Martin
Thanks, Martin. You can get them with a carbon steel blade, but I got the stainless. It rocks! Don't need carbon because I'm not into starting fires with sparks and tinder. That's what Bic lighters are for.

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everybody for all your nice comments.
I'm glad there are still lots of guys here who appreciate a good natural. I like all kinds* of slingshots but naturals are my favorites.

*Note: Well, maybe not "all" kinds. I got a Trumark wrist braced in the mail yesterday and tried my darndest to hit something with it, but to no avail. It even has those fancy sighting doodads on it. There wasn't anything comfortable about its feel either.

·
Resigned
946 Posts
Martin
Thanks, Martin. You can get them with a carbon steel blade, but I got the stainless. It rocks! Don't need carbon because I'm not into starting fires with sparks and tinder. That's what Bic lighters are for.

[/quote]

I always use a flint and steel for fire lighting, but I could not bring myself to use a knife. I just prefer carbon steel.
Martin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts