Simply, assume that the elastic band obeys the Hooke's law,
the work done by the pull is W = F.S/2,
the length of the elastic band is 0.3 meters,
the pull distance is 1.8 meters,
the the pull distance S is 1.5 meters,
the maximum pull force F is 20 kg,
then
W = 20 * 9.8 * 1.5/2 = 147 joules.
In fact, the band does not obey Hooke's law.
The work done by the pull force is far less than 147 joules, and the output is 115 joules.
The energy efficiency is much greater than 78.2%?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Does it even matter in any practical way? How many shooters can consistently pull that weight with reliable accuracy? Want that much power? Try a handgun.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
Whats the point? I've seen 44 magnum Derringers . Could they be shot yes would you want to. And could you hit anything with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
745 Posts
Does it even matter in any practical way? How many shooters can consistently pull that weight with reliable accuracy? Want that much power? Try a handgun.
We are talking about if it can be, instead of if we must do that.
Please continue your conversation as it may have relevance to you or perhaps you enjoy the theoretical math. It certainly does me no harm nor bothers me in the slightest. I am fortunate to live in a place where I can have any and all firearms I can afford to buy. I do also realize not everyone has the privilege to own a firearm and I realize that slingshots kill by precise shot placement and not high power without accuracy. My thoughts were based on the power quest was desired for hunting as it could not possibly be for target shooting.

I don't know anyone that can accomplish precision slingshot accuracy while pulling 20KG. Perhaps you can achieve it but with the absence of accuracy the power is wasted. I did not mean to get anyone upset or put you on the defensive. If you find relevance to it please proceed as my opinion has no meaning to your conversation but it is still my opinion.

The video is also over 7 years old so I expect many have seen it and care no more for it than I do.

Reactions: MakoPat

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
It is likely possible. The SSF Power Rangers record stands at 109.5 joules set by Tobse. As CJW pointed out, it is hardly practical and as Tobse demonstrated in another post, quite dangerous.

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/21109-slingshot-forum-300-club/
Thanks, Henry!

I had read the 300-club thread. But I don't know the tension of their bands.

In my opinion, the slingshot is not efficent as the video announced. There must be something wrong with the data.

And I find another video announced that he projects 20mm steel ball at 128 m/s, with the kinetic energy 272 joule.

In other words, I doubt its authenticity.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would doubt the 272 joule claim as well, but Tobse's achievement was under pretty strict requirements. Are you sure the 272 joule claim was made by Tobse? Can you provide a link to that video?
Sorry, I think that you misunderstand.

272 joule is not anounced by Tobse. I mean the the one who made the video that mentioned in this topic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Please continue your conversation as it may have relevance to you or perhaps you enjoy the theoretical math. It certainly does me no harm nor bothers me in the slightest. I am fortunate to live in a place where I can have any and all firearms I can afford to buy. I do also realize not everyone has the privilege to own a firearm and I realize that slingshots kill by precise shot placement and not high power without accuracy. My thoughts were based on the power quest was desired for hunting as it could not possibly be for target shooting.

I don't know anyone that can accomplish precision slingshot accuracy while pulling 20KG. Perhaps you can achieve it but with the absence of accuracy the power is wasted. I did not mean to get anyone upset or put you on the defensive. If you find relevance to it please proceed as my opinion has no meaning to your conversation but it is still my opinion.

The video is also over 7 years old so I expect many have seen it and care no more for it than I do.
I don't know if I have offended you, or made you feel bored.

Yeah, any firearms are illegal for civilians in China. But so what?

I regard slingshot as tools, or toys.There are many possibilities with slingshot, and people get fun to challenge them.
Some guys project 7mm steel balls at more than 160m/s, anothers penetrate the whole redbull can with steel ball from 50 meters away.
Enjoy the slingshot, enjoy the shot.

·
Registered
745 Posts

I regard slingshot as tools, or toys.There are many possibilities with slingshot, and people get fun to challenge them.
Some guys project 7mm steel balls at more than 160m/s, anothers penetrate the whole redbull can with steel ball from 50 meters away.
You have not offended me in the least Sir. I like watching Chinese slingshot videos and I enjoy them myself. I think there are many very young shooters in China with remarkable talent as it has a much higher popularity there. I had just never considering them as an instrument of high power. After rereading the thread I realize you were just questioning the accuracy provided in a video by others and not advocating anything.

I failed to catch these words by you at the beginning "I doubt it." or I would have understood your post correctly.

Reactions: MakoPat

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
I would doubt the 272 joule claim as well, but Tobse's achievement was under pretty strict requirements. Are you sure the 272 joule claim was made by Tobse? Can you provide a link to that video?

272 joule is not anounced by Tobse. I mean the the one who made the video that mentioned in this topic.

The video you showed was Tobse, but not the one where qualified at 109.5 joules. If memory serves, he admitted on the forum that the 272 joules was a fluke. Anyone who uses Chronographs knows that they will occasionally register a false speed. I've seen over 600 fps on mine.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Anything can be done, besides slingshots just keep getting faster. Soon we will have indestructible bands :) https://www.zmescience.com/research/graphene-bands-rubber/
Interesting. If it really has the properties to make latex last longer and still give good performance I hope the technology makes it to slingshot bands soon.

I have seen a couple of videos on graphene but never anything about combining it with rubber or elastic. If it makes them last too long I feel manufactures will only produce it when they are forced to by a competitor. Really long band life equals less sales thus less profits. If it still gives good performance and could double band life I would happily pay double to get it. I doubt we see it used for slingshot bands in the near future but if it turns out to be practical I'm all for it.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Good information.

I am an applied sciences fan. Practical. I am impressed by the properties of modern latex... if it get more efficient and resilent... that'd be great.

I think 80% efficiency and Tobse's records are impressive... and valid.

But that claim of 272 joules is very shady.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

You have not offended me in the least Sir. I like watching Chinese slingshot videos and I enjoy them myself. I think there are many very young shooters in China with remarkable talent as it has a much higher popularity there. I had just never considering them as an instrument of high power. After rereading the thread I realize you were just questioning the accuracy provided in a video by others and not advocating anything.

I failed to catch these words by you at the beginning "I doubt it." or I would have understood your post correctly.
That's all right.

I like to watch videos shared by other shooters. Most of them are valuable. I have learned much more from them. But I also found some of them have mistakes or tricks.
So I had to survey them carefully, if I have doubt, I'd like to discuss with other people.
For example, some a shooter announced he can project steel ball to a distance more than 600 meter or nearly 700 yards. After we therotical mathmatic caculated and verified carefully the result, we firmly believe it's fake. Maybe there's something wrong with laser
range finder.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The video you showed was Tobse, but not the one where qualified at 109.5 joules. If memory serves, he admitted on the forum that the 272 joules was a fluke. Anyone who uses Chronographs knows that they will occasionally register a false speed. I've seen over 600 fps on mine.
Thanks, Henry!

I got it. So there's the end of the discussion with my friends about 272 Joule.

That's why I strongly agree with 300club's identification method.

By the way, some shooters constantly achieve more than 600 fps, but the projectiles are less than 1 gram.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts