Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is my first post and I would like to thank y'all for having me here. I would have never thought here would be a slingshot forum.... but between a need and google here I am lol.

So I have a question and hopefully this is in the right place, if not please direct me.

So in my line of work, every once in a while a guy will have to crawl through a culvert pulling straps with him, so in return we can pull big hoses back through the culvert. Usually the culverts average 18"-24" sometimes smaller, and anywhere from 60'-100' long.

Well the last time we had to crawl through a culvert I was thinking there has got to be an easier way. So after some thought I came up with shooting a nut with a piece of string tied to it through the culvert.

I went to Walmart and bought a Daisy brand sling shot tied a fishing reel to it and tried slinging a nut. Sometimes it would work but lost of the time it wouldnt.
The line coming from the reel was causing issues.

So I was thinking about a bigger nut with a piece of paracord tied to it.

Does this sound doable from a regular size slingshot?

I think it would need to be a minimum of a 9/16" nut might could get by with a 1/2" but I figure I'll need the mass/weight of the bigger nut to pull the string.

Hopefully this is clear enough to understand I get to rambling with my thoughts from time to time and get a little long winded.

So basically I need a string tied to a nut or some kind of object that can be shot up to let's say 150' but it has to be shot straight since its going through a cylinder of no more than 24 inches in diameter.

·
See The Target
22,201 Posts
The narrow 24 inch diameter is not going to allow a travel of 150 feet due to the trajectory curve path of the projectile . It will hit the top or bottom of the pipe . It is impeded even further by trying to carry the weight of over 150 feet of string ! Remember . The ammo don't fly straight . Its a curved path due to gravity . The pipe is probably corrugated even further impeding a smooth slide down the pipe when it touches the sides .

Plan B ?

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I see you're from Louisiana and crawling thru a culvert up to 100' long? :eek: Dang brother, you're me new hero!!

I don't mind most critters in nature but I'm sure not crawling into a small, dark tunnel and meeting some of them head on!!

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
A fishing slingbow is probably your answer. The arrow obviously doesn't need to be pointed. Just the right weight to go the distance. An arrow would skid along the bottom of the pipe better than a nut would.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
I agree with DSL... you are a hero of the week. Lord keep you, bud. That is SOME job.

I think Treefork is right though... slingshots have a pretty big arch on their trajectory and you would need like a light briaded fishing line... but if you are good enough you could bounce one off the top and get 80' or so.
A slingbow maybe be better for this... because arrows have mass in a line that can pull a little more line than a nut. Also try some of those lead sinkers that have a metal loop sticking out.

Most important of all... stay safe and welcome to the SSForum. People here are definitely knowledgeable and friendly.

All this is conjecture and I cannot think of anything that shoot through the debris in those pipes. I grew up on a river and there was a few of those around. Of course we kids crawled through 'em.

Ever considered the most time efficient way would be to train a good little terrier breed dog. They work for praise and bits of chicken. And they can handle snakes and varmints pretty well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys I really appreciate all the replies, I am a member on several different forums, and this is by far the most feedback/responses I've ever gotten, especially from a first time post, and especially to what seems like an elementary question to most of y'all. A slingbow would t be a bad idea either. The R/C cars wouldn't be a bad idea other than sometimes there in a little bit of water in the culverts... not always but from time to time there is. I have been through more culverts than I care to think about in North Louisiana, but now I'm working in West Texas, which critters over here wake up mad at the world each morning lol.
We have some sticks of PVC pipe that we connect together and push through till they reach the other side, but every once in a while we forget to bring them with us, or hey will be in a truck on what other end of the job.

I tried to build a sling shot out of some of those Golds Gyms exercise tubes you can get from Walmart, but that didn't seem to work out real well.

I don't know if it's the material of the bands or he way I was attaching them, or if it was the frame.

I brought one of my kids daisy brand slingshots back with me to work, I'm going to try attaching the fishing reel to my wrist like in the video above, and try that out. I had it attached to the front of the slingshot while testing it in he yard, but the line was causing some issues from time to time where it come through the forks of the slingshot. I'm gonna study this a little bit longer, to see what I can come up with. If all else fails it'll be a fun learning experience.

I know as a kid growing up I usually had a slingshot it was always a Daisy brand but haven't messed with them in a long time other than getting my kids one to play with, because... well I feel like all kids should have at least one. After playing around with this one it has brought back some good memories.

I need to do some looking and reading on his site about the different bands and tubes. I didn't realize there was some many different options. It might take getting away from a Daisy brand slingshot to make this happen, or it might not be possible no matter what I do. But I think I will start leaning toward/ looking into a slingbow or the fishing dart method.

·
Registered
539 Posts
So I'm going to take a slightly different approach here. Presumably whatever you're shooting through is corrugated or rough so you can't count on a ball to roll. I do like the RC car idea. In the realm of slingshots though what sounds more probable to me would be a slingbow or speargun. The reason is because you can make a point on the arrow that'll allow it to "skip" over whatever debris or corrugation is in there so it can ride (hopefully) the rest of the way down. Worth a try anyway, best idea I've got.

·
Premium Member
4,900 Posts
A cross bow might do it!
Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts