Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i want to make a slingshot from one of those board laminates from zpd189's tutorial
and i need a pattern to cut
and since im a terrible drawer incapable of drawing anything symetrical

i would really appriciate a pdf download or something like that

·
Registered
77 Posts
well i want to make a slingshot from one of those board laminates from zpd189's tutorial

Hi,

I dont have one but Jeorg Sprave has one available for download free. google : youtube how to make a fantastic slingshot.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Kinda small isn't it?
You just need to use 250pt font.

But seriously, there are lots of forks on the forum where the designers have said they have no objestion to copying. Why don't you pick one of them?

If you want some help on a design, people are more likely to help if they can be sure that the design they'll spend time working on is what you're looking for. Give us ideally a rough sketch, or at least some guidance. Symmetrical or assymetrical? Vertical or gangsta? Traditional, ergo, or semi-ergo (y fork with finger carving and ledges)? High finger, pinch, or hammer grip? Should the style curve, flow, or be straight and angular?

Some ideas regarding strength: I've never seen a homemade micarta that was as strong as factory made stuff. Almost always it's down to being too dry either from the resin not being absorbed properly or having it all squeezed out or the resin not being hard enough. If the stack is dry and soft in spots, it's boogered and needs to go in the bin. Sometimes it's good, but a little too bendy. If you are at all concerned about the rigidity of the stack add some cutlery rivets or bolts to the tips like I did one the denim one. Immediately it becomes stronger and less flexible. That generally applies to any hand laid laminate where the tensile strength of the material exceeds the shear strength of the resin bond. How you tell if that is so is to bend a strip till it breaks. If it bends and delaminates like the camo one I showed, it'd gain strength from pinning. If it snaps it would not. One thing I'd like to see is people experimenting with the basic formula. You can do lots of cool variations without more tools or effort. I've seen people cast a bunch of mixed rags into a tupperware dish. You can lay up with a cut steel core in the middle and cut/sand the stack flush with the core or leave it embedded. You can plait strips of one or more colours around a steel frame and leave as is, or sand the surface flat. The possibilities are endless.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
As far as making a symmetrical design, nothing could be easier. Take a piece of paper, fold it down the center. Draw half of your slingshot with the creased side in the center. Cut it out, unfold, and there you have it, your perfectly symmetric pattern. Like cutting out paper dolls. . .

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
if you check in the custom section you'll find a number of designs people have posted for use, Tex posted a diagram of his classic which is a good no frills design.

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
This is my most consistent and accurate shooter. It is also very easy to cut. I don't have formal plans, just a cut pattern, but here are pictures of the slingshot with a ruler so you can print out the direct overhead shot in size2-3.jpg, cut it out and trace it. I have shot this one with tubes, and that's where the couple of fork hits came from. I haven't had a fork hit since I switched to the 1.5 inch x 6.5 inch Everlast latex.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hi,

I dont have one but Jeorg Sprave has one available for download free. google : youtube how to make a fantastic slingshot.
[/quote]

yes it is a very nice slingshot!
but i cant hammer grip a slingshot to save my life

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kinda small isn't it?
You just need to use 250pt font.

But seriously, there are lots of forks on the forum where the designers have said they have no objestion to copying. Why don't you pick one of them?

If you want some help on a design, people are more likely to help if they can be sure that the design they'll spend time working on is what you're looking for. Give us ideally a rough sketch, or at least some guidance. Symmetrical or assymetrical? Vertical or gangsta? Traditional, ergo, or semi-ergo (y fork with finger carving and ledges)? High finger, pinch, or hammer grip? Should the style curve, flow, or be straight and angular?

Some ideas regarding strength: I've never seen a homemade micarta that was as strong as factory made stuff. Almost always it's down to being too dry either from the resin not being absorbed properly or having it all squeezed out or the resin not being hard enough. If the stack is dry and soft in spots, it's boogered and needs to go in the bin. Sometimes it's good, but a little too bendy. If you are at all concerned about the rigidity of the stack add some cutlery rivets or bolts to the tips like I did one the denim one. Immediately it becomes stronger and less flexible. That generally applies to any hand laid laminate where the tensile strength of the material exceeds the shear strength of the resin bond. How you tell if that is so is to bend a strip till it breaks. If it bends and delaminates like the camo one I showed, it'd gain strength from pinning. If it snaps it would not. One thing I'd like to see is people experimenting with the basic formula. You can do lots of cool variations without more tools or effort. I've seen people cast a bunch of mixed rags into a tupperware dish. You can lay up with a cut steel core in the middle and cut/sand the stack flush with the core or leave it embedded. You can plait strips of one or more colours around a steel frame and leave as is, or sand the surface flat. The possibilities are endless.
[/quote]

i was unaware that there were patterns out there(ill look them up for sure)

well i guess i was looking for a flatband slingshot on the smaller side
that is gripped with the fingers high up on the fork
gangsta(lol)
and ergonimics doesnt matter nor do looks
and i wasn't asking people to make somethin new (thats asking a little much)
i just wanted for them to give me something they had lying around

hey how do you bolt them ?(is it like like a special gun or somethin)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As far as making a symmetrical design, nothing could be easier. Take a piece of paper, fold it down the center. Draw half of your slingshot with the creased side in the center. Cut it out, unfold, and there you have it, your perfectly symmetric pattern. Like cutting out paper dolls. . .
wow thats third grade stuff
i cant believe i forgot about it
thank you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.