Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Tex-shooter
4,275 Posts
The best bow wood ever is Osage orange. Not me saying this, but the experts. They say a bow made of Osage never lost its power with age. It was so cherished by some Indians that they would trade a horse for a bow made of it. You can buy this wood fairly easy in the USA. -- Tex PS here is a picture of a slingshot made from it.

Attachments

· Tex-shooter
4,275 Posts
Hmmm, you are probably right in some settings, especially like when the English used the Yew long bow to rain down arrows from a distance on an oncoming army. The English countryman may have been a superior shot, which we don’t know for sure. The English long bow had a maximum range of about 250 yards and the Yaqui sinew backed Osage bow had a range of about 220 yards. The Yaqui bow was shorter and had a lighter draw weight than the long bow. The American Indian was a really great horseman and could shoot arrows in very rapid succession on horseback. He however was also an accurate shooter and one of the stealthiest fighters that ever lived. You might have had an arrow in your chest or back before you knew he was anywhere around. Although there is no way of proving it, I have been told that my great grandmother was a full blooded Indian slave, purchased by my great grandfather (a French Canadian). The blood line may have been Blackfoot/Yaqui. By the way, I have a stone work axe handed down from her. The other blood in my veins is from England and the Emerald isles so I like both sides of this story. -- Tex

· Tex-shooter
4,275 Posts
I have had both Yew and Osage bows. Yew is an excellent bow wood, but it does not keep its new bow power as well as Osage. Osage bows just don’t lose much with age; in fact some that are 200 years old are still shooting able. Also as a fence post it doesn’t rot and gets harder with age. It is not the best wood for a slingshot however. The American army had a terrible time with a renegade band of Yaqui's even though they had repeating firearms and the Yaqui band only had primitive weapons. The Mexican army had a regiment of Yaqui solders I think I read somewhere. By the way Beau the Indians would ride up along side a buffalo and shoot an arrow into it from about 10 feet (nothing wrong with that for food). -- Tex

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.