Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
This is my latest, a lightweight pocket target shooter. I fancied this candy apple red cast acrylic sheet. The shape was based around two concentric circles for the fork and then a fat handle with a cut out for three fingers.

I wanted it to look like pooled candy or burgundy wine and I think I have achieved that. The edge is radiused and the whole thing finished to a high polish. Clear acrylic is easy to polish, but shows up every surface imperfection and it took hours to get it like this.

I have finished the deep tie-on grooves with black tape.

It's sporting red bands which are a little thinner than Theraband silver and taper from 3/4" to 1/2" with a 8-9lb draw. These suit the light frame. I have changed the tying method at both the forks and the pouch to reduce wear. It would probably handle strong bands, but I like the light set-up. The entire thing weighs 34g (1.1oz) including the bandset.

Combined with a very ergonomic grip and low forks, the resulting fork and bandset is highly accurate. There is almost no tremor at full draw and the bands are very fast up to the weight of 8mm steel BB, giving a very zippy and fast trajectory.

I can't complain about energy either. 6mm BBs consistently clear both sides of an empty soda can, punching out neat little round exit holes.

I plan other variants of this design in carbon fibre, micarta, G-10, polycarbonate, thick black acrylic and Gun-Koted steel.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Thanks!

Here's a couple more variants on the same pattern, a 1/8" polished carbon fibre and a 1/2" synthetic wood (reversed for holding in the right hand). So, something for the artsy crowd, something for the tactical/ technical guys and one for the (semi) traditionalists.

Yes, those are Hunter Bands in the middle. I prefer them on a full large handled ergonomic frame, but they shot OK.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Slick looking flip. I would have to keep a pocket full of candy on me though. I would always have a sweet tooth while shooting that one.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder if I cast it thick enough could I use actual red candy.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Neat, very innovative design. -- Tex

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Totally cool slingshots ! Especially the synthetic wood ! You show some kinda style!

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The wood is Timbertech or Exwood, which is recyled (I think) wood dust in a plastic matrix. It is an absolute dream to work; it positively revels in being bullied into shape, more than any other natural or stabilised wood or plastic. It comes in widths and thicknesses that are ideal for frames. You can pencil, mark with a permanent pen, or scribe in it. A bandsaw just about glides through it like a rip cut through pine, except it has neither grain nor knots. It does not snatch, blow out or burn when drilling; it doesn't splinter or chip, but gives long curls. You can scrape it with a knife edge. Sanded particles don't particularly irritate. Finishing is very quick and easy and it hides scratches. It looks attractive and much like wood when oiled. It polishes to a high finish and it absorbs stain if needed. It is fire rated, has good tensile strength, never rots or moulds. It is fully recyclable. It won't destroy the earth and it doesn't cost the earth. I feel it is the very best material for many applications that you can work or own. However, it just isn't Desert Ironwood, spalted maple, zebrawood, etc. and so it doesn't make for a top dollar product. I hope that it will catch on with knife and slingshot makers.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Wow ZDP...you have such a way with new materials and ideas! SWEET!!!

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Love the Red but it's just too pretty for me, I'ld be afraid to shot it.
Do you know if the Timbertech is similar to Trex? http://www.trex.com/decking/ I had been thinking of getting a piece to experiment on but didn't know how it would be to work with.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It looks to be the same. Builders' merchants often give out samples and see if it's like I described. If you buy a plank later, it'll cost more than heat-treated lumber but much less than hardwood like teak.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts