Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a bit ironic, coming from me, but there is a number of reasons I consider that shooting pop cans, despite their large size, is actually an invaluable training tool.

When I first started shooting, I refused to shoot at cans, because I considered them a very easy target. What I didnt realize, is that being easy to hit, doesnt mean that they can't be used effectively for training.

So, to the point. First of all, my view of shooting cans applies mostly to somewhat advanced shooters. The newbie has few options anyway, as he tries to achieve general consistency. It's when that first, decent consistency is achieved, when the value of a large target is better realised.

It goes without saying that hitting a can 10/10, is not a hard feat. Therefore, we can be easily misguided that we should just start shooting something smaller. Well, the first advantage of shooting at cans is exactly that, the ease of hitting it. By being so easy, we can easily transfer our focus from aiming to form. This I consider the first step at becoming actually good, aiming without focusing on aiming, but on form.

There is another advantage though. When a shooter gets enough accuracy to hit a can effortlessly, then he can challenge himself by choosing random points on the can to hit. This is not easier than hitting a.....1mm target! This added focus, which gets in our practice as a game, combined with the general lack of effort to actually hit the target, cam work wonders, exactly because even if we dont hit the intended 1mm point, we still get to hit the can and enjoy the awesome sound of struck aluminium!

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Don't forget if not tied or hung, multiple distances and also heights
Yep, throw one up a tree and step back 50 paces and see how many tries to knock it out. Cans have endless possibilities Haha

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Oh yes lol Do it with a damaged can and I've had them climbing trees like a squirrel

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Yes Skropi......I like the last thing you said.....I like the sound of hitting the can. I also like to try to cut a can in half by grouping my shots in the center. That takes a bit of focus.

Here is another idea for a fun target: Take an old circular saw blade, 10", 6" or 4" and hang it by a string or wire from a tree and back off 10 yard - 50 yards. The saw blade will sound like a bell when you hit it.

GP

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
Yes Skropi......I like the last thing you said.....I like the sound of hitting the can. I also like to try to cut a can in half by grouping my shots in the center. That takes a bit of focus.

Here is another idea for a fun target: Take an old circular saw blade, 10", 6" or 4" and hang it by a string or wire from a tree and back off 10 yard - 50 yards. The saw blade will sound like a bell when you hit it.

GP
I had an old skillet hanging up as a target for a while. Sounded like a gong when it was hit!

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
The worst is sending hot after shot through the same ragged hole...
I guess that makes you a hot shot, eh?
Regarding my suggestion of shooting at a hung circular saw blade.......when I miss I can always claim that the ball went through the hole in the center, shot after shot.
GP
Nope. When you are aiming for the tag ends and hitting air a miss is a miss...

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
The worst is sending hot after shot through the same ragged hole...
I guess that makes you a hot shot, eh?

Regarding my suggestion of shooting at a hung circular saw blade.......when I miss I can always claim that the ball went through the hole in the center, shot after shot.

GP
There you go! It's not missing if you're actually threading the needle. Shoot smarter not harder!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts