Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Freezin' my Butt Off
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is folks! My latest build. I started out with a 1/8" thick carbon fiber plate, a red mallee burl scale, some brass pins and lanyard tube. I epoxyed the carbon fiber and scale together, and cut the shape out on my scroll saw. The carbon fiber ate my saw alive. I went through five blades just to get this Kestrel cut out! After that was over I drilled the holes, and pinned it. I sliced the extra lengths off, and got to sanding. First 80, then 150, 220, 320, 400, 800, and finally some worn out 2000. I then gave it a bath in BLO, and coated it in CA. I then sanded off the CA with the 220 and worked my way up from there. After it was silky smooth (and I had sanded a hole in my old 2000 grit sandpaper) I gave it another overnight bath in the BLO. I hope I did the template justice MattWalt :)

Jigsaw puzzle Font Jewellery Body jewelry Button

Silver Automotive tire Font Automotive exterior Bicycle part

Natural material Wood Jewellery Wind instrument Metal

Creative arts Art Font Artifact Jewellery

Art Silver Body jewelry Artifact Font

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Really nice work!

Great to see that template being produced at such a high level.

When you add the lanyard - do it very short - just so your 2 furthest fingers get in there and can pull it taught down. It actually becomes a handle of sorts and helps stabilise it extremely well (your middle finger wraps around the stub and lanyard). Saw on your last version of this you have a wrist lanyard.

My one I have added some paracord gypsy tabs - just waiting for my 1623 to arrive and its going to see some heavy BB use :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
That is so nice. Beautiful finish!

Reactions: The Norseman

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Awesome frame man! I've always thought those look cool, but yours could be displayed as art!

Reactions: The Norseman

·
Mojave Mo
5,165 Posts
Norseman. After receiving your most excellent trade I shot that MattW Kestrel you made and starting getting a visual of your blistered thumb while I wrapped my paw around that little sling. I could not believe how small it is! It makes an Altoids Shooter look big.
So while you were making this re-clone candybar you have posted here I must have started a similiar version a day or so later. I won't post a photo of what I have done here on your thread, you may weep.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts