Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
So, since I don't have a Chrony yet, I decided to copy Bugar's Cardboard Penetration Test. I used 10 layers of 32lb ECT cardboard and 1/2" steel balls. I shot two shots with each slingshot and recorded the result. I pulled the pouch back as far as I could in each test. Here is what I found:

Steel Ball:
Configuration - 1st shot depth/2nd shot depth/Average
1. Saunders Falcon 2 with Factory Bands - 0.9"/1.4"/1.15"
2. Flatband Ergo with Linatex Bands - CT/1.31"/NA
3. Saunders Pro with Quad Bands - CT/CT/NA
4. Saunders Falcon 2 with Tex-Shooter Express - CT/1.5"/NA
5. Saunders Pro with Tex-Shooter Express - CT/CT/NA
6. Marksman Folder with Kent Elastomer Tubes - 1.70"/CT"/NA

White Marble;
1. Flatband Ergo with Linatex Bands - 0.45"/0.48"/0.46" (first shot bounced back out after impact)
2. Saunders Pro with Quad Bands - 0.70"/0.75"/0.72"
3. Saunders Falcon 2 with Tex-Shooter Express - 0.50"/0.55"/0.52"
4. Saunders Pro with Tex-Shooter Express - 0.85"/0.80"/0.82"

The ones with CT means that the ball went Clean Through all 10 layers, which is 1.75" thick.

Attachments

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
That really is a good way to test without any fancy equipment! I'm gonna try it as well.

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
I just did a test with .5" White Marble and here is the result:
1. Flatband Ergo with Linatex Bands - 0.45"/0.48"/0.46" (first shot bounced back out after impact)
2. Saunders Pro with Quad Bands - 0.70"/0.75"/0.72"
3. Saunders Falcon 2 with Tex-Shooter Express - 0.50"/0.55"/0.52"

This shows a couple of things. First, steel balls carry much more energy than marbles. Second, it better shows the power of each band set.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Putting holes in something is way more fun than the chrony. Phone books are my favorite for this kind of stuff. I do have one non scientific cardboard story. I inadvertently tested my backstop on my old indoor setup. I was shooting .530 lead with wide flatbands and blasted a hole through 22 layers of cardboard and the wall behind it. I'm glad it was an exterior wall or I think it would have gone into the next room.

Hey Aaron now that you have the ergo you gotta slap some thera-band on that sucker. I know you'll like it.

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did some more tests this morning. The Kent tubes did awesome with my Marksman Folder with the steel balls! My pouch setup failed after the steel tests so, I was not able to do Marble tests. I think it should say something that the tubes did as well or better than some latex bands.

The Tex-Shooter Express Bands are clearly the fastest that I have.

Steel Ball:
1. Saunders Pro with Tex-Shooter Express - CT/CT/NA
2. Marksman Folder with Kent Elastomer Tubes - 1.70"/CT"/NA

White Marble:
1. Saunders Pro with Tex-Shooter Express - 0.85"/0.80"/0.82"

·
Registered
105 Posts
With a little bit of math you can discover all the different aspects about the shot.

The 32 ECT means 32lbs of pressure per square inch to crush the the edge of the box. Thus it holds no value. Boxes also have a burst strength (Mullen), and I think that's a proper value to work with as a starting point. For #35 ECT cardboard that's 200 PSI.

Since you know know your shot size, all you need is your shot weight. Along with the depth of each shot, you are on your way to filling in some physics formulas. Get ready for the metric system!

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
With a little bit of math you can discover all the different aspects about the shot.

The 32 ECT means 32lbs of pressure per square inch to crush the the edge of the box. Thus it holds no value. Boxes also have a burst strength (Mullen), and I think that's a proper value to work with as a starting point. For #35 ECT cardboard that's 200 PSI.

Since you know know your shot size, all you need is your shot weight. Along with the depth of each shot, you are on your way to filling in some physics formulas. Get ready for the metric system!
That's really clever!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts