Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut down a birch fork before the snow fell, and it has been sitting under my wood stove since. I decided to work on it yesterday and finished it up this morning. It was a beautiful white fork with a few knots and interesting grain. I wanted to put a bit of stain on it to make that grain really pop. Well now I have a very ugly great shooter. I guess if it is not broke don't fix it eh?

I humbly present you the "UGLY DUCKLING"

Yg2EdLW.jpg?1

TFnkKnc.jpg

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The dark stain turned the entire thing near black. I had to sand most of it off to get it to where it is now. It looks dirty in person, the camera and some editing does it some favors.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I think we've all tried something different that didn't turn out so well. On the other hand, some of my best frames aren't the prettiest!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ugly?? Ya, but does it shoot where you're looking? If so, all's well.
It hits right where I want it to. After months of tinkering I figured out that all it takes for my anchorpoint and aiming system is a 4 inch outside diameter fork spread. The rest is looks and comfort. If I have those 4 inches I'm pretty much on the money with any slingshot.

So this one will definately be my utility/beater rig that lives in my wool jacket. I will go cut another fork today and throw that stain out.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
As was said, good character and a nice shooter.

I have had that happen with actual stain. Now days I use Old English scratch remover for dark woods. Test it on a scrap and if its too dark you can thin it with alcohol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts