Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to start casting 10mm lead balls, and a quick search brought up more information than I was able to take in at once lol. For you guys casting your own, what is the most basic setup you can recommend for someone just starting? I wouldn't want anything elaborate, but I'm experienced in handling volatile chemicals & hot metal already so I don't think this is too big a leap - they did it over open fires in the civil war days right lol?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated, even more so for pictures :p .

Thanks guys & be safe out there!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Easy peasy bro, I use my 10mm lead mould with a couple metal clips on each end then simply use a milk pot (it has a pouring spout) stick some scrap lead in, switch on the little camp stove then in around 10 mins my lead is melted, pour away and that's you :) if it's scrap lead you're using you may need to scrape the slag 0ff the surface first but usually I melt all my scrapvand take the slag off then pour into an old baking tray making " clean lead" ingots for casting next time. This is my set up, real simple :)
P.s once they are cast I let them cool and trim the excess lead of and crimp round the outer seam with pliars so there's nothing to snag on the pouch
cc5e99f9331f0994d85afad1095987c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
What UKP said.

I use an enamel mug (surprised how well it works) and a gas hob - I also like to heat up my mould before I start casting (once you start pouring it'll keep hot thanks to the lead) - usually just place alongside the 'crucible' for a few min. I use an old sinker mould which works fine - though my ammo tends to be left slightly 'rough' as a result of cutting the sprue etc.

Depending how dirty your lead is you may need to remove quite a bit of slag - and you may need to remove from time to time. Spoon works fine for this.

Make sure wherever you're smelting that you have good ventilation.

Any incomplete cast ones I throw back in the pot.

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
3/8 silicone ice cube trays. I have a lead pot but before those days I used to use a cast iron pot. The temperatures are not that great. If you are using a steel mold pre heat it like Mattwalt says. I rest mine on the pot rim until the first pour.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
I am following this one.
Someday in the spring I am going to start.

I know a few guys who run tire shops and I am going to get some lead for free (mostly) from them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use a Lee 10lb melting pot and a .445 cal mold. A good game place to find lead for me is Facebook marketplace and search for lead ingots. Cost is around $1.50 - $2.00 per lb for my area. Links below.

I use a flat baking pan and place the pot on it with an old towel to drop rounds on. I keep mine a little damp, but DO NOT LET WATER NEAR THE POT. Some flux is good to have also like sawdust powder, lithium grease with bees wax balled up, or commercial lead flux. Heat the lead up then add flux and stir it in, then scrape floaters with an old spoon.

I run my Lee pot on a 4 normally, sometimes more if I recently added fresh lead to melt. If the lead gets too hot, the rounds will have a frosted exterior and become grainy looking. If it's too cold, the rounds will be odd shaped if real cold or have lines on the skin of the rounds.

Before using the mold, cover the inside cavities with black soot to add in the release. Also, I used beeswax on the pins and screw joints for lube. Paraffin will burn off, beeswax doesn't and last longer.

You will need to preheat the mold before pouring either by dipping the corner in the melt or pouring some and discarding them. I recommend pouring fast in the cavities, then smack the top plate with something wooden.

Sorry I don't have any pics yet, but hope this helps someone.

Melting Pot with bottom spout.
LEE PRECISION Production Pot IV... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NOORXY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Mold .445 cal
LEE PRECISION .445 Double Cavity... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TFAX9S?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts