Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a few of you using castrating bands to hold your flat bands. What a great idea! This would make field band changes a snap. My question is; what is the maximum pull in pounds and what is the minimum diameter fork you can use safely? I have seen only one used on the Cougar and two on some naturals.

Thank you all for your help.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
I don't know the answer to that one, but I bet Smitty does. I've seen that he's made quite a few using them. I have noticed that he usually used double groves on the one with castrating bands. I bet he will be along in a bit or you can PM him about them.

·
Banned
388 Posts
i use them for the cougars,simply to keep the looped bands from slipping off ,they however do not work to keep flatbands on ,it seemed like a good idea when i thaught of it but theyres just too much streach in them .

·
Eliminate the Variables!
1,714 Posts
They work fine with flatbands, but you want to have about a 7/8" thick slingshot, and use two grooves (2 bands). The force of the shot will overpower the top band, but the second band holds it in place. I think Smitty posted one of my naturals on his blog that had the double castrating bands on it.

Keep in mind... the strongest bandset I ever used were Tex's Express bands.

Here's an old picture showing them.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i use them for the cougars,simply to keep the looped bands from slipping off ,they however do not work to keep flatbands on ,it seemed like a good idea when i thaught of it but theyres just too much streach in them .
Yes, now that I have taken a closer look, I see that they are only holding them in place. I wouldn't think that they would hold the bands, partiality because of the lack of diameter and width of the Cougar.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I've never used them, I was just showing off another great slingshot from Jim Harris. Sorry...

·
Eliminate the Variables!
1,714 Posts
They work or I wouldn't post the images. Just be sure to test your draw. If you feel it's unsafe, just go back to conventional band tying.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never used them, I was just showing off another great slingshot from Jim Harris. Sorry...
Hey, thanks guys! I'll give it a try on a natural I'm making with forks at 1 1/8" diameter. I was going to attach some double hunting bands I'm getting fromPallan65, maybe a conventional attachment would be better for those.
I looked at suplyers on google and they want $1.60ish for 100 and almost $10 for shipping!
I tried locally an I would have to special order them. Were do you all get your from?

·
Eliminate the Variables!
1,714 Posts
,,,I was going to attach some double hunting bands I'm getting fromPallan65, maybe a conventional attachment would be better for those.
... Were do you all get your from?
Good idea to try conventional band tying with those bands, because they have more recoil than Tex's Latex Double bands.

Try your local livestock supply store.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Too funny! I just got off the phone with a farm supply store. The conversation went like this:

"Hello I'm looking for castration rings. Do you have any?"

"Are you a Vet?"

"No, but they are not going to be used on animals."

...long pause...

"Sir, they shouldn't be used on humans!"

lots of laughing on my part...

"No, I'm going to use them to hold bands on my slingshot!"

" I'm sorry sir, but you wouldn't believe the strange request we get being so close to San Fransisco."

Now I'm completely loosing it ! I just can't stop laughing!

" Thank you, but I'll have to call you back!"

:lol:

I think I hurt myself!

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Sorry Smitty and Jim.... I guess I got CORNfused !!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts