Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I hear, ceramic is one of the toughest materials for its weight. anyone ever come across anything ceramic that could be used for shot?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I believe the Trumarks are glass (could be wrong, though). Ceramic ball bearings do exist, but they seem rather pricey (like $24 for 10 9/32" diameter on eBay).

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
You can get ceramic balls. You can even make them and fire them in a kiln. The problem is that they aren't heavy and so would likely lack ballistic efficiency (i.e. slow down and drop more on the way to the target).

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I agree with Fish. I shoot 1/2 inch steel (50 caliper) for practice (easy on the catch box) and if I am hunting like squirrels or rabbits, I use 7/16 lead (44 caliper). These two balls weigh just about the same. If hunting pheasants you need a little more fire power, like 1/2 inch lead, but it changes the trajectory though. Tex

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
I agree with Fish. I shoot 1/2 inch steel (50 caliper) for practice (easy on the catch box) and if I am hunting like squirrels or rabbits, I use 7/16 lead (44 caliper). These two balls weigh just about the same. If hunting pheasants you need a little more fire power, like 1/2 inch lead, but it changes the trajectory though. Tex
I wonder if one should stick with a specific shot because of tragectory changes. What you get use to predicting the approximate point of impact .

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
That is why I practice with 1/2 inch (non-toxic) and hunt with 7/16 lead. I can not tell any difference in the trajectory of the two and they have plenty of power. -- Tex

1 - 10 of 10 Posts