Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read and responded a few times recently about chained rubber bands and bending steel frames, so while at the hardware store I walked by the steel rods. I said "what the heck" and picked up a 1/4" piece and bought some #33 rubber bands, latex of course. Went into the shop and bent the frame with a propane torch and a soft faced vice. I like to use heat because I can but the bends more easily right where I want them. You don't have to use heat. I made the ears as basic as I thought would work well, so others might want to try this great little slingshot that will shoot any kind of rubber you want to use. The only critical part is the gap for the bands to be able to slip through. I just use a feeler gauge set for .050" and squeeze the rod down until the tip traps the gauge. Pull the gauge out and you have a nice gap for your rubber. No marks were caused by tools in making the rod, so I could go right to polishing the tips for the rubber. I used black jewelers rouge on a cotton wheel until it was slick smooth. Then just start at the pouch with the first link and continue until you get the length you think you want. If you make it too long it is easy to take out a link with this frame in the field. I had fun making it and now I am going to go outside and relax shooting it. You can easily convert this type of frame to shoot indoors at a catch box also for when the weather turns bad. We used to make stuff like this out of coat hangers when we were kids. You just twist three wires together, very tightly, using a vise and a pair of vice grip pliers. Here is the picture, I don't have the T-shirt yet.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,965 Posts
Oh that one is gonna go for you Smitty! Many smaller bands will really move the ammo. They will fly outta there Bud! By the looks of the "rubber gang" you'll be able to go heavy on the ammo too. Cool! Flatband

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Great lookin slingshot there, you are the master of bent steel

·
2,144 Posts
#1 mxred, Thanks, I wanted it to be simple so many would want to try it. I just came in from shooting it and after a few shots I removed one link from each side and it was zinging marbles into an aluminum can. It was shredded in short order at about 15 meters. I have worked with newspaper presses since 1977 and have been involved quite a bit with repair and such as needed, so I have learned to weld with torch, arc and mig so I could do more kinds of repair. Working with wood is really my strong side as I helped my Father when young and picked up the scrollsaw and fell in love with them after.
#2 Dayhiker, yes I wrapped it with 18-42 tubing because it was quick and easy too.
#3 Harper, I thank you for the compliment, but I ain't no master at it or I would be working toward selling them. I think they are great, but it is too much like work to get one good enough to sell to someone. Making slingshots on my saw is way more fun and relaxing to do.
#4 Flatband, you are so right! It has been months since I shot chains. I forgot how much fun it was.
#5 Smitty, Oh, that is me and I can't talk to myself or else it would create a time paradox...right Sam? Perhaps if I created a fold in the fabric of space-time I might be... Oh, I'll let ZDP and Sam handle the scientific stuff. I'm just a good ole boy, never meanin' no harm...That was a TV show Sam and yes it was in color...Jeez.

Cool Rayshot ! You will have a blast !... OH, #6...er uh...#5, whatever.

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
I used to make .25 bent-brass rod slingshots without heat. In fact I wrote and published a long article in Backwoodsman Magazine about them and how to manufacture one. 1/4" steel and brass are easily bent using a vise and small cheater-pipe, though Smitty's use of heat will allow for more curvy and aesthically-pleasing work. The vise and cheaterpipe work well for those working in *******-type conditions such as myself.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I used to watch that show Dukes of Hazard on a 4" b/w CRT TV under my blanket because it was past my bed time. In those days it was before I discovered the significance of Daisy Duke's jeans. Those were simpler days of slingshots, BB guns and no responsibilities.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
That is awesome!

·
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Take three coat hangers and straighten them out. Put the ends of all three in a vise with the other end clamped in vise-grip pliers. Twist the wire round until it is tightly wound together. Take it out of the vise and mark the middle. Bend it in half on your mark, then out a few inches up for the handle, then up for the forks on each side, then out and down for the ears, that is it. A bit of heat would help to make the bends right, but not necessary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.