Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Folks,

today is the official Charles Goodyear memorial day.

Exactly 167 years ago, Mr. Goodyear filed his famous patent that described the vulcanization process. The rubber bands that we are all using for our slingshots are still, to this day, basically treated the way Mr. Goodyear came up with.

Read more about Charles Goodyear

In order to honor the great inventor, I am giving away a Cougar "Limited Edition", banded up the way the winner prefers.

All you have to do is to write a comment to this thread, honoring Charles Goodyear's invention. Any sensible comment is OK. I will do the drawing at noon Berlin time tomorrow.

Good luck!

Jörg

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Good man, good rubber, good tires, thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
thank you mr. goodyear!!
if you never came around we would have never have the hobby we all love today..

·
Registered
425 Posts
Good, rubber is good..

Wise, the dude was wise..

Thanks alot Mr Goodyear, and thanks alot Joerg, the new Mr Goodyear
!!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks for reminding us of the day, Joerg.

There's a Goodyear Tire and Rubber plant here in my city that employs many people. It is a very important part of our local economy.

I never knew, until I read the Wikipedia article, that the company was only named after Charles Goodyear; not started by him. Interesting.

Here are some really bad jokes, quickly found online, to commemorate the occasion.

1) What do you call a guy with a rubber toe?

Roberto!

2) What type of medical treatment most scares a tire?

Acu-puncture!

3) What is a tire's least favorite food?

Flat Bread!

4) Why do tires work out?

To get "pumped up!"

5) What is a tire's favorite vacation destination?

Buenos "Air-es"

6) Did you hear about the argument between the tire and his wife?

It was a real "blowout!"

·
Registered
32 Posts
We use rubber everyday to help with countless tasks via its convenience, versatility, and accessibility, and it has made our world a safer, more productive place. Bouncy-balls and hippity-hops for kids; space age fabrics and materials for industrial applications; and flatbands, chains, and tubes for us slingshooters... rubber (literally) touches all our lives! High-five, Mr. Goodyear! Scientists. Rule.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No disrespect towards slingshots but I guess I'd miss my cartires even more...!

I wanted to say:" Keep up the good work" but as that's not too fitting here I'll stick with someting like harpersgrace:
Good-invention, good-rubber, good-tires, good- slingshots, good-whateverelsethereismadeoutofrubber -------> Good-year

Thanks Joerg for another chance of winning some cool stuff!

·
Registered
51 Posts
thanks mrgood year, its a 167 years on and the sports is still going strong thanks to your invention

thanks for the "good" work

·
i don't argue
549 Posts
Mr Goodyear, real glad he 'accidentally' invented vulcanization, benefited the world(and especially us). Too much vulcanization and we get the black rubber tires don't we? Hahaha...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Live changing invention. Thanks Mr Goodyear.
Folks,

today is the official Charles Goodyear memorial day.

Exactly 167 years ago, Mr. Goodyear filed his famous patent that described the vulcanization process. The rubber bands that we are all using for our slingshots are still, to this day, basically treated the way Mr. Goodyear came up with.

Read more about Charles Goodyear

In order to honor the great inventor, I am giving away a Cougar "Limited Edition", banded up the way the winner prefers.

All you have to do is to write a comment to this thread, honoring Charles Goodyear's invention. Any sensible comment is OK. I will do the drawing at noon Berlin time tomorrow.

Good luck!

Jörg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I,m not the best man with words, but thx Mr Goodyear and Mr Sprave for giving us all so much insparation for a really nice hobby. Building and shooting homemade sling constructions
:D

And i,ll be honest::::YES i would really like to win that cougar

·
Registered
488 Posts
If he did not invented vulkanization proces, my life will be ruined.. I cant imagine life without slingshots.. Hope I win

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks Charles Goodyear

I have a lot of fun shooting with my slingshot.
And thanks Joerg, for sharing great slingshot videos on YouTube

1 - 20 of 48 Posts