Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

Does this look like a cheap, lightweight, colapsable, mobile catchbox to anyone else?

Water Liquid Drinkware Output device Font

I might pick one up on the way home today.

A little string across the front woth leather targets, two tiny feet made from am old wire coathanger to hold the front up about a handswidth off the ground so it leans back... Mmmm.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depending on the speed and ammo used, it might go straight through it, but with a heavy damper, it could work :)
Absolutely, but heavier material will offer more inertial resistance, i think a lighter material with more stretch can diffuse the energy better, but it really depends on the materials tension, ans the ammo and its speed, as you say.

·
Super Moderator
2,281 Posts
Depending on the speed and ammo used, it might go straight through it, but with a heavy damper, it could work :)
Absolutely, but heavier material will offer more inertial resistance, i think a lighter material with more stretch can diffuse the energy better, but it really depends on the materials tension, ans the ammo and its speed, as you say.
I'm just talking like with a tee shirt or a towel draped down the center to take the initial impact. I tend to blow apart the light weight catch boxes in just a few days, because it ricochets off of the towel into the side and blows a hole through it or rips the stitches out of the seams. Then, the other thing about a light weight catch box is that it will get knocked over in just a couple of shots unless you have it secured to a tree or something.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Yep. I made a prototype from something similar (heavier laundry container) which I plan on using when I am in the forest and want to do some training. The final version should be ready when I have all the materials collected (hopefully have time next month). I have the whole thing built so it will fold up to fit in my pocket. The final version will be from a heavier canvas

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Some trestles and a few old large bath towels slung over the latter is what I've been using successfully for years. A piece of corrugated cardboard with marker-drawn targets prevents the steel ammo from bouncing back in any way.

The trestles can be folded up conveniently and stowed away easily after the shooting session too.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.