Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
So, I found a site that sells .5" Tungsten Bearings in bulk. They fly should fly really good as they are Grade 25, which is perfectly round with a .000025" tolerance. They are only $3.50 per ball, but you have to buy 500 of them. Cannot pull that off right now, but I wish I could! The same ball at McMaster is $11.36 each.

·
Registered
740 Posts
dont you think that 3.50 for one ball is a little bit to much?
even if they are the biggest balls and stuff..

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah. That is still way expensive. It is still alot cheaper than some of the more exotic gun ammo out there. My father-in-law has a .45-70 pistol that costs $5 a shot. .50 cal BMG cost more than that. They pay extra for high performance. Tungsten is our performance ammo. You wouldn't go shooting bottles with it, but it would be good for competition target shooting and hunting.

·
Banned
913 Posts
$5 for 45/70 rounds apiece? Insane! Get a Leeloader or buy a proper loading press and dies, that's outrageously expensive. I used to make them for an 1895 Marlin lever gun, cost about 50 cents apiece with cast bullets.

·
Banned
388 Posts
So, I found a site that sells .5" Tungsten Bearings in bulk. They fly should fly really good as they are Grade 25, which is perfectly round with a .000025" tolerance. They are only $3.50 per ball, but you have to buy 500 of them. Cannot pull that off right now, but I wish I could! The same ball at McMaster is $11.36 each.
i can get depleted uranium .50" shots for £127.67 each and its 5 x heavier than lead.......lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
sound like an opportunity for a group buy.

·
Banned
913 Posts
I might be in for a group buy also. Phenominal hunting shot I bet, and reusable.

For carry, how about a muzzloader's type of ball bag: a wet molded pouch formed with thick leather that is stiff upon drying bottlenecked into a wooden stopper. You could use a powder flask for a last, or improvise something else(a flat bottle for example), but I think a small flask would be perfect. You can wrap thread or tack this to the bag. Drill a hole through the stopper a little larger than the ball used(do this first). Then carve a plug, preferably with a clothespin shape on the inside to keep tension on the hole. It's a bit of work, but it can be done, I made one for my cap and ball revolver back home.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It is still expensive compared to other shot types, but this is 1/3rd the price I have seen elsewhere.

The balls are 5/16" in diameter, which should be similar in weight to a .5" lead ball. (Tungsten is 1.7-1.8x the weight of lead)
http://www.bustersdirtshop.com/product.php?productid=8933
any more word on the group buy idea for tung 3/8"?
it would be cool if we could hook it up with a SlingshotForum.com embossing on a leather pouch.

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is still expensive compared to other shot types, but this is 1/3rd the price I have seen elsewhere.

The balls are 5/16" in diameter, which should be similar in weight to a .5" lead ball. (Tungsten is 1.7-1.8x the weight of lead)
http://www.bustersdi...?productid=8933
it would be cool if we could hook it up with a SlingshotForum.com embossing on a leather pouch.
[/quote]
We would need a vendor to get behind the group buy. I don't have enough free cash to buy it in bulk. As far as the pouches, I agree! However, I dont know where we could get custom pouches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Isn't Tungsten a little brittle for slingshot ammo?

I would imagine it could fragment on bone contact when hunting. Maybe something that you want for stopping capability but also you might end up swallowing a shard if you miss it whilst cleaning before eating.

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't "think" that it is so brittle that it would fragment. It is no more brittle than glass, and I have never had any marbles shatter on me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure, I'm sure when you get some to try you can answer the question fully.

I believe that Tungsten is around 7.5 mohs in hardness, much harder than most glass but it suffers from cold brittleness.

Anyway it will be interesting to see how it behaves ^^

·
Registered
126 Posts

http://www.bustersdi...?productid=8933
[/quote]
We would need a vendor to get behind the group buy. I don't have enough free cash to buy it in bulk. As far as the pouches, I agree! However, I dont know where we could get custom pouches.
[/quote]

here is a decent size pouch in a variety of leather finishes.

http://www.altertimes.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_25&products_id=116

so its likely 10 plus the price of ammo (id say intervals of 10 to keep it easy) plus s/h, not bad i guess.
we need to figure out hot to make a leather stamp with the forum logo (machining an aluminum stamp i guess and steaming the embossing area maybe?). ask flatband i think he has leatherwork experience.
id also make it a pay in advance deal via paypal then fill the orders once you have enough to get the bulk rate.

edit: i was close! i looked around and found the following

http://www.homemadesimple.com/en_US/homemavens.do?contentId=nov07

now we just need a logo stamp about 4"x2"

·
Registered
286 Posts
Welp, I'm definitely in -- and even if we have to end up compromising on less than the highest-end ammo, I vote to forge ahead with the SF logo (with proper blessing) ammo pouch idea! (Good 1, wilbanba.)

...Cuz if I'm gonna be strolling down Rodeo Drive 90210 bumpin' into J.Lo, LiLo, and Paris with a pocket shooter sticking out of my waistcoat pocket and carrying three-buck-a-ball ammo -- I'm sure gonna need a respectable fake Hermès designer ammo bag to tote it around in or I got nuthin'!!

I mean I'd organize all this myself, but I gots no skillz!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts