Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here tried one of these fatty nailhead frames? If so, opinions?

Can you hold them with a thumb brace or only a full pinch-grip? Comfortable or awkward?

The forks sure are low on these frames. I have seen several different versions in resin and wood but I don't see many postings here about them. I'm guessing that the shape has some sort of history in China.

Attachments

·
See The Target
21,429 Posts
I have a Feihu on the way from China now . When I spend enough time with it I will give an informed opinion .

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I’ve got the dk lions mouth and it’s a nice frame to shoot I like the tips they shoot great and for me it’s very comfy in a brace hold where the thumb just wraps over the tip slightly and the index finger wraps around the top tip..no problems with the low forks and shoot it with no twist or tweaks

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I have it and today is my first choice. The lenght of the slingshot is kinda short but give it a try. It's solid and worth the few dollars.

·
Banned
193 Posts
They fut nicely in the hand. I bought a couple of then. Just mailed one to MJ. He said he might post it. The forks make for a natural aiming point. I will Keep the cast aluminum frame I brought, I like it a lot. It, however, has flat fork tip which makes tying bands easier. Sure are easy to pocket. Bought 1,000 5/16 ammo to use but handles 3/8 well enough. However, when it comes to small frames, I would prefer the PP cast Pocket Ranger from ProShot.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have a similar one, nearly the same lines and curves. Not my favorite- comfy but the curves are a bit too extreme. I think the grip area on the handle could be larger but the bottom curves away and compromises grip space. Similarly the fork tips and fork arms aren't as substantial as I would like, such that I find myself wishing for more space when shooting even light ammo.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I can't comment about this particular Feihu because I don't own it. I have several of various sizes and the ones that I love happen to be the most traditional or closest to the traditional shape and size.

IMO Feihu's are supposed to be small so they almost disappear into the hand when you hold it. The fork tips should be narrow so it is a natural point of aim. The narrow fork tips also means your thumb and index will naturally fall into a semi brace hold making for a very controlled agile feeling shooter in hand. It is almost as if the fork tips are part of your hand. The narrowness means a higher point of impact unless you tilt your head and sight down the bands like a shotgun. Doing this enables me to be consistent from one Feihu to another and I have come to appreciate narrow forks for OTT. If you shoot PFS, you'd feel quite at home with a Feihu. The natural aiming of a Feihu promotes instinctive shooting if that is your thing.

In addition to the forks, the profile and contour of a Feihu should have a recurve shape. The handle should arch backwards to gently fill your palm. I find this very comfortable and though small, a Feihu when held, provides ample contact against the hand. The shape is simple and effective, after all the Chinese are an ancient culture adept at creating hand held weapons! It is also a shape that we can whittle out of a natty if we want to. There are Feihu's with straight handles - so there is no differentiation of shooter and target side - and I would not get those because I think you would be forgoing a vital characteristic of what makes a Feihu brilliantly comfortable.

Finally the peg head fork tips are a very simple and effective protrusion for band attachment. No need for band grooves because the pegs hold everything naturally in place. And it doesn't matter if your bands are wider, it just wraps around. The only thing you would have to get used to is the different style of aiming reference. It may not be for everybody but you can get accustomed and come to enjoy it. There are variations of the Feihu with everything I have mentioned above but just with square head fork tips.

The one pictured has forks that are a little wide. I am sure there is nothing wrong with it and some might prefer it.

The one weakness of the traditional Feihu I would add here would probably be that it does not cater well to heavy band sets. The refined proportions is not the best thing for a "power grip". But where you lose power, you can gain in precision. There are however fat Feihu's that are better for a "power grip" though if I want something for heavy band sets I would rather reach for a Bill Hays design.

I enjoy Feihu's for what they are as precision lighter band shooters and they will always be a part of my collection. I doubt I would ever have gotten one if it wasn't for the Chinese champ shooting them but I am glad I did because it has opened up a new understanding of design and appreciation of ergonomics on a humble set of forks.

Enjoy your Feihu when you get it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts