Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

I came across the videos made by this China-based slingshot shooter, who does excellent presentations of the latest Chinese-made slingshots available. Yes, it's all in Chinese, but his shooting skills are outstanding.

He does speak some English, if ever you do want to ask him any questions in the YouTube comment sections.

Check out his latest video:

Just thought I'd share my finding with you.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
My thoughts:
Everyone is a superstar on YouTube. I was even one, once. His videos are heavily edited. If you attempt a shot one-thousand times and hit it once and get it on video then you edit it down so that it looks like you hit it on your first try then that's not the same as being able to consistently make a shot. I've made videos of lighting matches with a slingshot. Sometimes it takes a bunch of tries, sometimes only a few, but I've always said that I was someone who had lit a match, not someone who could. That, to me, would indicate that I could do it on demand.
Secondly : This one guy seems to be a pretty good shot and happens to be Chinese. That isn't an indication of "Chinese accuracy " any more than Nathan Masters being a phenomenal shot is an indication of American accuracy or that dude with the bad teeth from Thailand who seems to hit everything without even trying is an indication of Thai accuracy.
Third: I am never going to wear fingerless gloves, I don't care how good they would make me.

·
Neophyte
2,000 Posts
Well that opening was dramatic. I hope I'm wrong but it looked like he was busting glass vials onto a walking area that appears to be public. Good shooting over all but I agree with M.J. there are a lot of cuts, just watch the bamboo in the back ground. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
612 Posts
My thoughts:
Everyone is a superstar on YouTube. I was even one, once. His videos are heavily edited. If you attempt a shot one-thousand times and hit it once and get it on video then you edit it down so that it looks like you hit it on your first try then that's not the same as being able to consistently make a shot. I've made videos of lighting matches with a slingshot. Sometimes it takes a bunch of tries, sometimes only a few, but I've always said that I was someone who had lit a match, not someone who could. That, to me, would indicate that I could do it on demand.
Secondly : This one guy seems to be a pretty good shot and happens to be Chinese. That isn't an indication of "Chinese accuracy " any more than Nathan Masters being a phenomenal shot is an indication of American accuracy or that dude with the bad teeth from Thailand who seems to hit everything without even trying is an indication of Thai accuracy.
Third: I am never going to wear fingerless gloves, I don't care how good they would make me.
Good points. I've seen his videos before and I'm pretty sure that's his own property. I assume he's pretty well off.

Shooting paper is a more honest and legitimate way of proving accuracy in my opinion. Lighting a match or cutting a card is impressive, but for somebody to shoot circles around a bullseye on camera is much more indicative of accuracy and consistency. Folks like Gamekeeper John, with modest and unedited videos showing true feats of marksmanship. That's the real deal.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Answering MJ: fair enough.

Indeed, videos can be edited in a way that makes everything look picture perfect, just like in Photoshop....yet, why did the Chinese GZK team at the June 2018 slingshot tournament at Gualdo Tadino (Italy) do so well? No video cuts in the latter, that was a live performance...hmm, food for thought. The Chinese cannot buy firearms or even airguns: shooting slingshots appears to be a national sport in China, and videos of competitions held in China are plentiful. Thus, many of them are doubtlessly excellent shooters.

Furthermore, by using the terms "Chinese accuracy", I had no intention of offending any form of American patriotism (I am a proud European who is very pro-American): my apologies if such was the case. Nathan Masters is indeed an outstanding slingshot talent, and I have witnessed his performance...."wow" is the only way to describe this.

That said, I do feel that Chinese slingshot designs and aiming devices are an example to follow. I say this as someone who makes slingshots as well, and who had the opportunity to try one of the GZK "chasing Dragon" type pinch-grip stainless steel fork slingshots at the tournament: yes, I was quite impressed - regardless of the fact that slingshot shooting skills are linked to the person first and foremost.

As to why the guy in the video was wearing fingerless gloves, good question indeed...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
First thought that came on my mind honestly was about the glass spreading everywhere. I hate when someone is so ignorant and leaves rubbish like this after his shooting.

If he cleans up after his shooting, then my apologies, but I'm in doubts.

Besides that ... good shooting anyway, even with the edits :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...yes, the environmental awareness seems to be totally absent here.

This particular shooter does not seem to worry about pop cans, bottles, or even firelighters....and steel ammo falling into that pond. I do not think that it is his private property, but rather a former recreational park of some kind that will sooner or later be gobbled up by rampant urban sprawl in that somewhat populous country.

That shooter needs to think in terms of "catch box"...hmm.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
MJ was talking about this specific person, not about the Chinese in general.
Yes, exactly this.
You certainly can't argue with results from tournaments, that goes along with my point about YouTube not being the best way to gauge shooting ability.
And no worries about offending my "patriotism ". I was simply pointing out that just because a person or a team is accurate that doesn't mean that everyone who lives in the same country as them is.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am chinese. Would you like to hear my opinion about him?

Frankly he is not famous at all in china even as slingshot enthusiast. I have his contact. He never participated in any tournament as i know. Also his shooting skill personally i dont think it is master or top level.

He is just acting as a influencer at youtube to earn some money for advertising or selling his slingshots. Maybe slingshots is his favorite sport,but personally i think it is more like business.

I also checked some video about trapping birds or other small animals by Vietnam. It is obviously that animal is raised by person but the video received millions of views and thousands of like.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Don't know if he is a good shot or not. Don't know if he's just making a buck. Don't know how edited this video is. Don't know if he owns that property or not. Don't even know if he is Chinese. Don't care. But you throw glass and bits of plastic in the water like that, no way to clean it up, weather you own the property or not, you lost me. Would have been no trouble to spread an old tarp or painters plastic sheet, put a board or something on it. Stack his powder containers on that. Shoot em up, roll it up and put it in the dumpster.

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,563 Posts
Hello to all,

I came across the videos made by this China-based slingshot shooter, who does excellent presentations of the latest Chinese-made slingshots available. Yes, it's all in Chinese, but his shooting skills are outstanding.

He does speak some English, if ever you do want to ask him any questions in the YouTube comment sections.

Any thoughts?
Re: "Any thoughts?"

Yes-

Spillage, aisle two.

Don't walk barefoot on that boardwalk.

Don't drink the algae.

...and, the band is held in shark's teeth - how long will that last?????

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hello to all,

Any thoughts?
Re: "Any thoughts?"

Yes-

Spillage, aisle two.

Don't walk barefoot on that boardwalk.

Don't drink the algae.

...and, the band is held in shark's teeth - how long will that last?????
Welcome back THWACK. I've been missing your humor :)

Reactions: THWACK!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts