Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,671 Posts
Jeez, there are some very serious shooters in China. Look at that top ten sheet! They put on some tournament. Great job!

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,671 Posts
Were going to need a lot more practice to compete with the Chinese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
WORD!

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
OK...so what is the Chinese secret to success in terms of shooting technique, frames, bands, and everything else? Impressive indeed!

Looks like many hours of disciplined practice ahead, hmm.... :hmm:.
Focus is developed with meditation and accuracy is developed with countless hours of practice. Asian cultures are very disciplined and brought up with this stuff from the day they are born.

·
Registered
243 Posts
OK...so what is the Chinese secret to success in terms of shooting technique, frames, bands, and everything else? Impressive indeed!

Looks like many hours of disciplined practice ahead, hmm.... :hmm:.
Focus is developed with meditation and accuracy is developed with countless hours of practice. Asian cultures are very disciplined and brought up with this stuff from the day they are born.
Yes, I fully agree with you. I dont think the western shooters can achieve same level as the asian shooters. The culture makes so. when the asian especially chinese act as an individual competitor for small game, they will behavior extremely discipline for themselves.
for those winners, i know they do practice almost everyday with high intention (2 or 3 hours). That is not all,they communicate with each other to improve and care each minor thing of shooting.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
"I dont think the western shooters can achieve same level as the asian shooters." I don't agree. There is an old German proverb "Übung macht den Meister" i.e. practice makes perfect.

I believe that anyone sufficiently devoted, and who has the time required can reach a high level of perfection in any sport. Back in the days of the former Iron Curtain, it was the government-sponsored athletes in the USSR and Eastern Europe who obtained most of the gold medals at the Olympics: the athletes concerned were practicing their respective sport practically every day under the supervision of highly skilled trainers. In contrast, athletes in the West had to pay for their training or find willing sponsors.

Ultimately, it really boils down to how much time one is able to spend training, and of course how self motivated one is to work on improving errors in technique to achieve the best results. I do not think that discipline and determination are solely a characteristic of Asian countries: look no further than Germany, and the incredible performance of their "Bundesliga" football team (OK. not recently...) or ex-formula one drivers such as Michael Schumacher. The Swiss tennis player Roger Federer is another outstanding example of excellence. Tiger Woods comes to mind in terms of top notch US Golf players - and the list goes on.

The key issue in my opinion when it comes to slingshot shooting is that, unlike China, both the USA and Europe do not have any sound structures to promote our sport, and to improve skill levels under the guidance of experts. This does not exactly favor top notch performance - even if the potential is certainly there to do so.

Let me know what you think.

·
Super Moderator
6,671 Posts
All I know is that if they can field a group of contestants numbering over 500 to shoot slingshots competitively, we and other countries need to get more slingshots in more peoples hands-especially in hands that can really shoot well!!!! That was an amazing turnout. I was looking at the numbers and if Nathan Masters as great a shooter he is ended up that far back in the competition, these people must be androids or something! Unreal!

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
One thing to note about the top five guys in that tournament. The majority shot OTT and held in the right hand. They all also use very simple forks. Translation: you do not need anything fancy or a specific style of shooting to win. You just need what works for you and hours of practice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.