Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience of this sling available from China. I have fallen in love with it but I'm a little dubious about pressing the buy button. I'm desperate to own a titanium slingshot. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Berkshire Bred, that would be my first mod of I decide to buy. I'll round them off like Feihu forks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Berkshire Bred, that would be my first mod of I decide to buy. I'll round them off like Feihu forks.
This is actually a mass-produced model shot and made by "brother Jing", one of the famous competitive shooters (also slingshot craftsman) in the Chinese community.

I actually spoke to him and asked him about the sharp fork-tips some time ago. The key is that competitively he shot thin band (.4/.45 in 16-8) and light ammo (7mm steel), hence the 20mm sharp-edged fork tips do not bother him or other shooters with a similar and essentially lighter set-up. Instead, he considers the sharp-edged tips as one of his signatures in this model and uses it as an aiming guide.

·
Registered
61 Posts
One should take note that the material is indeed titanium alloy rather than straight out titanium. Don't worry the material is very durable and famous for striking a great balance between weight and strength. It's a very common material used in higher-end slingshots from China. I personally own a few titanium alloy frames and they shot hella great.

Also, "brother Jing" ****s with different materials and different types of fork tips.

Does anyone know how to attach photos in the post? I really want to share the slingshot photos with everyone else, but couldn't find the option to do so.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I have something similar with this style of fork tips and it's no issue. I have not observed it to cause undue wear on the bands. IMO, there is probably no need to mod or round off YMMV. I would suggest to shoot it as it is first before deciding if the mod is really necessary?

I actually enjoy these squared tip feihus a lot. I also appreciate the sloped back profile that allow for a slight lean forward. The profile should also mean less friction area on the bands as the friction point is mostly only on the foremost leading edge. Regular feihu's don't offer the same reference for aiming though the pegs have an advantage of being unfussy about band width since they wrap around. The square heads give a very clean and quick sight picture when aiming while also allowing for instictive shooting with the frame if you want to shoot that way. It functions very well as an instinctive shooter probably because of it's narrow fork gap that is good for point feel intuition. The one drawback with these square tipped feihus is that they are not really designed to take wide bands (though you can fold if insistent). However, they can be excellent target shooters with light bands.

Another thing I think we should bring up is that Chinese slingshots advertised as titanium is usually a "titanium alloy". It is probably a mix containing titanium in a mystery composition. It does not have that characteristic lightness of titanium, though it will be lighter than stainless steel. In case you are expecting that light titanium feel, you may not get that here...

Enjoy the frame when you get it!
e72468014f10c2a016204be97865b8c0.jpg

·
aka CYBORG
1,988 Posts
One should take note that the material is indeed titanium alloy rather than straight out titanium. Don't worry the material is very durable and famous for striking a great balance between weight and strength. It's a very common material used in higher-end slingshots from China. I personally own a few titanium alloy frames and they shot hella great.

Also, "brother Jing" ****s with different materials and different types of fork tips.

Does anyone know how to attach photos in the post? I really want to share the slingshot photos with everyone else, but couldn't find the option to do so.
When composing your post, click 'More Reply Options' - there are prompts at the bottom of the screen for loading files and previewing. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts

When composing your post, click 'More Reply Options' - there are prompts at the bottom of the screen for loading files and previewing. :)
Thanks Al.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's arrived! I decided to take a file to the corners/edges as they were a little too sharp for my liking. Now it won't rip anything in my rucksack or slice my leg if its in my pocket. I love it and can't wait to shoot it tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Looks like it was worth the wait and if anything like similar shape frames I have, it will feel really comfortable in hold. Those tips do sound interesting as well.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
It's arrived! I decided to take a file to the corners/edges as they were a little too sharp for my liking. Now it won't rip anything in my rucksack or slice my leg if its in my pocket. I love it and can't wait to shoot it tomorrow.
Congrats! That's a beauty!

Just a thought... You might want to polish the spots you ran over with the file because, the way metal is, those spots though rounded are likely to be more abrasive than the rest of the fork. The file would have left "teeth". Polishing it would remove the microscopic ridges that could cause premature wear on your bands. Progressively finer sandpaper (I would say to 2000?) followed by some elbow grease with polishing compound on a scrap piece of leather would bring everything back to an even shiny smoothness. If nothing else, then just for the looks? They are tiny spots anyway and shouldn't take very long to polish...

Enjoy! It's a super comfy shape...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts