Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi other catty uses.. i am no catty expert yet i do shoot cattys? my question is would the fps change if two men tested the same catty through a chrono
also would the fps change if you changed the distance it was fired through said chrono?ive seen a few tests but i always wondered if the strength of the man using it would change the fps?? any info would be much appreciated.. atb **** from hickleton.

·
Registered
259 Posts
****, the shooter's strength has no direct impact on the speed of the shot. The only variable that would change from shooter to shooter would be the draw length. The longer the draw; the more energy stored. As to the distance from the chrony that the shot is fired, this would have an impact on measured velocity. Once the shot leaves the pouch it starts to lose energy/velocity.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wingshooter did a neat test on fps at 30' and at 40'. Worth searching for, real good info.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
There are some factors that make a small difference, even though the draw length is the same. Flipping the slinghshot adds velocity. An active release (verses a long pause) will increase velocity. Relaxing the back muscles during the shot (loss of back tension) will decrease velocity.

Cheers,
Northerner

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Regarding strength, it does play a part simply being the stronger he or she be, the further the bands can be extended, but this only really come into play when shooting heavy amo with heavy bands or tubes..light pull bands are very fast with light amo. The second the ball leaves the pouch it stops accelerating, and deccelerates due to air resistance.. so a ball can leave the pouch at 300fps but by the time its gone 50 metres it may only be travelling 230fps.. denser amo like lead will loose less velocity than say steel shot of equal size..

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Just a note! You can not use rifle formulas to figure velocity drop. Projectiles traveling faster than the speed of sound lose velocity much faster than projectiles traveling slower than the speed of sound and the slower a projectile travels the slower it loses velocity. That is why that test like Wingshooter did is very important for slingshot shooters. -- Tex

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
****, the shooter's strength has no direct impact on the speed of the shot. The only variable that would change from shooter to shooter would be the draw length. The longer the draw; the more energy stored. As to the distance from the chrony that the shot is fired, this would have an impact on measured velocity. Once the shot leaves the pouch it starts to lose energy/velocity.
so would you say if the bands get stronger you need less strength to get more energy? or just need exact draw on every catapult? sorry if i confuse you as i also confuse myself... but its food for thought..
cheers for your reply ... i am like jonny5 need more input...

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Reactions: hickymick
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.