Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being completely paranoid of accidentally shooting the LCD on my chrony one day, I decided to make a shield up for it.

Made from the same 20mm Acrylic I make my slingshots from, nothing's getting through this baby. Not shown in the pics, but I also have 4 silicone feet to offset it from the switch and stop shock from being transferred into the chrony.

I also made some spares, if anyone is interested, there is an add up in the classifieds.

Attachments

·
~Pouch Maker~
15,472 Posts
Very good idea Hrawk, I can remember Joerg changed 3 Chronys accidentally shooting to it.

·
Rule #14
1,519 Posts
lol, Looks like he's using a plastic lunch box container!

JS Needs one for sure

They look excellent hrawk, well made.

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Now that looks pretty tough! I too am worried about destroying my chrony. Guess I better get busy and make something similar.

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
You need to protect the rear sensor.

You don't need such a thick plate. anything that would get through a 5mm polycarbonate plate would crush the LCD behind the plate.

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
You need to protect the rear sensor.

You don't need such a thick plate. anything that would get through a 5mm polycarbonate plate would crush the LCD behind the plate.
I made several. The same size shield also fits in front of the rear sensor, I intend on using two of them. They stow away quite nicely inside the folded up unit.

As for thickness, the thick acrylic I have used has zero flex. A 5mm thick piece could flex far enough to still smash the glass in the LCD. It will also stay functional after several impacts.

The silicon feet that separate the shield from the chrony will also offer a high level of protection against the shock wave being transferred into the LCD / electronics.

Using the chrony mounted on a tripod (yes they have a built in tripod mount), will allow the chrony to fall over providing an extra level of protection to the LCD and electronics and not absorb all of the energy.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Being paranoid myself about my chrony I shield the sensors with a block of wood. Not as eye pleasing as the clear plastic and the front one requires moving each time for the reading. The blocks are cheap, readily available, and should absorb the shock better than plastic. I hope that I can never give a testimonial as to whether they work.

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Being paranoid myself about my chrony I shield the sensors with a block of wood. Not as eye pleasing as the clear plastic and the front one requires moving each time for the reading. The blocks are cheap, readily available, and should absorb the shock better than plastic. I hope that I can never give a testimonial as to whether they work.
You should make up a remote, shoot a few shots then get an average or review each shot individually.

·
HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
8,259 Posts
you should copyright and trademark this shield apparatus . id like to see a video of you shooting at the shields with different sized ammo. put an egg or something other than your chrony behind the shield to see how much it protects.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts