Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Curiously" is my Altoids Tin catapult, here rigged with Precise 3G 0.7 mm, 13/9.5 mm taper, 181 mm effective rubber length, for "archery stance", forearm horizontal.

I found a new bit of less-stretchy string and put careful knots in it for precise draw length control. This is masking-taped to the end of the grip and is held between forefinger and middle finger.

I bench-tested the draw weights.

Ammos are clay, named by weight in grammes, with steel weight equivalent diameter indicated in mm. I shot all ammos at 4.75x stretch first, and so on.

I used a Dankung Chronograph, indoors.

I found less magic than I had hoped for.

"Wild" means total FPS spread of more than 5 fps approx.
"Poor" means compared with 4.75x stretch.
"Band broke" means I spotted the tear near the left pouch tie before it broke.

The only magic was old magic, the FPS consistency at 4.75x stretch with this shoelace rig with all ammos, and its continuing ability to shoot 1/2" steel at all!

Only the one fork hit, with ammo diameter up to 80% of fork gap width, this hammered the left fork corner, but it was somewhat hammered already, being relatively soft Okoume marine plywood. Good tree branch would have shrugged it off.

Horrible sight, clay fragments all over the floor.

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,947 Posts
Wow! That's alot of testing.
I fell for elastic years ago and have gonna through a bunch of it since. Precise gen.3 is a good one.
I like the smoothness of the draw alot plus it has a nice elongation factor, much better than their first 2 offerings. You did a great job testing it.

·
Ray Rowden
2,706 Posts
Excellent work, Mike!

You succeeded in creating a very informative package for the effects of stretching that latex to various lengths.

I downloaded your data and chart to my slingshot library.

The "magic" in your results is that you know for certain the value of changing your stretch factor. That kind of certainty is wonderful.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! That's alot of testing.
I fell for elastic years ago and have gonna through a bunch of it since. Precise gen.3 is a good one.
I like the smoothness of the draw alot plus it has a nice elongation factor, much better than their first 2 offerings. You did a great job testing it.
Thanks, I'll be testing some more things, so I shall be back.

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent work, Mike!

You succeeded in creating a very informative package for the effects of stretching that latex to various lengths.

I downloaded your data and chart to my slingshot library.

The "magic" in your results is that you know for certain the value of changing your stretch factor. That kind of certainty is wonderful.

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks. I do like trying things myself, even if I may find nothing special or new. It helps me to understand what is really going on. Before I got the chronograph, I was bumbling about in the dark.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts