Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will do a special video next weekend: Short banded slingshots.

"Classroom Warfare" is a somewhat provocative name for these new toys of mine, it relates to the naughty slingshots we all used as toys to be pulled out underneath the desk. Remember?

"Albatross" can't be done in a classroom with a teacher, of course.

So I limit the active band length to four inches, roughly 10 cm.

It is amazing what kind of power you can generate with just 20 inches draw!

I tried different band sets, from fairly light up to really heavy. My heaviest set uses four strands of TB blue per side, 6 cm x 4 cm x 10 cm. That is a lot of rubber, about 23 kg draw weight! But within this short draw, your muscles are really strong and it is not a problem to pull them out.

Even heavy ammo flies fast when shot from these setups. Will chrony them and do a ballistic gelatin test as well.

Should be fun!

Jörg

·
Resigned
2,845 Posts
that will be a nice vid .... you gotta go wif the fancy dress to man (short pants and a cap)..... and if the boss (wifey) will let you, some ladies in very badly fitting small school uniforms...... i can dream if i want !

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Given what power we know you have been able to achieve with short bandsets, just be sure to make clear that these aren't recommended for actual classroom warfare!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Very excited to see this video as someone who has a naturally short draw will be intriguied to see what sort of speeds / energy levels can be generated! Not sure about the AC/DC styling suggestion but keep up the hard work it very much appreciated! Every Jorg vid is a real treat!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have chronied the shots. 6 centrigrade temperature (43 F).

Two setups, active band length 10 cm (just under 4").

Pygmalion with 2x 6cm x 3cm per side, 12 kg draw

8mm steel = 85 m/s, 279 fps

Hand Howitzer in aluminum, 4x 6cm x 3cm per side, 24 kg draw

8mm steel can't be shot from this heavy band, not enough grip on the pouch.

15 mm steel = 55 m/s, 180 fps

16 mm lead = 45 m/s, 148 fps

I think this is pretty amazing. This means it is possible to construct a very short crossbow with a lot of power. If I double the bands again, then I think I can achieve energy levels comparable to butterfly setups.

Jörg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.