Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Simplify...
441 Posts
Fascinating story and technique. I enjoyed reading it. I didn't even know that terminates would bite if you disturbed them.

I experimented with clay ammo just briefly. Hand-rolling is a very time-consuming process. I wasn't baking my ammo. I really wanted to avoid that extra step if possible. The marble-size balls were surprisingly hardy enough to punch through soft aluminum cans and not break apart. I was also able to use them more than once. But not strong enough to punch through soup cans without breaking.

The stuff I was playing with is Activa Blackjack stoneware clay -mined locally in Texas. Very fine, silky texture with good body. Seemed to have a natural sculptural plasticity to it. Perhaps this is what makes the difference in strength and cohesion properties for potential ammo use.

But Stagecraft... It's ok to admit. You were having super-duper FUN playing war games with termites and watching them shake their angry little fists at you. :p

·
Simplify...
441 Posts
I looked at the the Dankung website. Convenience comes at a price. A quantity of 20 pottery clay balls (slingshot ammo) is listed for $4.08 at their website.

Thanks for the headsup, Gopher. I'm not familiar with air-drying clays and their strength properties. But sounds pretty good. I may try one of those brands to see how it compares with Blackjack high-fire clay that I've used. Perhaps a fun rainy-weekend project!!

The clay I used dries slow and hard. But since I don't bake it, if left on the ground after a shooting session, the clay will dissolve and return itself to the earth with a good rain. No environmental impact since it's non-toxic.

If anyone is interested, Blick Art has a list of clay materials -air drying and firing. And a product description for each clay item.

4 or 5-lb bags are reasonably priced and makes a lot of clay balls in whatever size you prefer. I formed my spheres to weigh the same as marbles. I personally liked the clay better. No glass-fragment worries for pets or wildlife during target practice.

i-CbRL6Rk-M.jpg

2sgn096spell.gif

Reactions: leon13
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.