Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Some of the younger and/or hipper forum members will recognize (and perhaps even explain) the silicon mold and tools that apparently have something to do w/ vaping. As my auntie says "But what do I know?" I found the mold and tools w/ other impulse-buy smoking-related items in the check-out line @ Wally World and thought that it would make a good clay ammo mold. An old cheese slicer serves to slice the clay.

Mrs. Raja, an artist and ceramic sculptress, graciously offered a bucket of scrap clay. I pressed clay into the mold and then pulled it out using the supplied tool. This gave me a uniform amount of clay to roll into a ball between my palms. The balls are drying in a cardboard box, on top of a space heater. I sprinkled baby powder (now cornstarch) on the balls to discourage sticking and to hasten the drying process. This first set did not shrink as much as I had estimated and hence are a little larger than I had expected, about .68 cal.

Wood Gas Technology Font Circle

Attachments

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Nice.. I've been using a lot of clay ammo lately.. Bought on amazon for fairly cheap..
How does the size of the Amazon clay ammo compare to 3/8 steel shot and 1/2 marbles?
I don't know about Mountain Mike, but I bought some off Amazon that was about 8mm. I love it for everyday shooting because I don't worry about breaking stuff or littering materials throughout nature. I'm also able to shoot with my house as a backdrop. The ammo just disintegrates upon impact with the brick. My only complaint about it is the weight. It's light, so light bands are a must, and the range is limited as well. But for 10m shooting it suits my purposes well and my cans last a little longer!

Really digging the mold Blue Raja! Not a bad idea and a great way to have a cheap/inexhaustable supply of ammo.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have been shooting 3/8 clay ammo from Amazon. I measured 10 random pieces and the average size was 9.48 mm.

There are two types of clay ammo. One is like baked pottery (hard) and the other is like compressed mud (soft). I use the hard clay ammo. They will break up i to small pieces when shot at a hard surface like a brick wall but won't instantly turn into a pile of dust. They are also not water soluble. I kept some in my pocket and they survived the washing machine.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Nice work! I just roll them manually and have managed to get them fairly consistent... I have been looking at carp bollie bait moulds which should work perfectly but the ones I can find are a little too big, I want it to be between 9mm to 10mm.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Nice.. I've been using a lot of clay ammo lately.. Bought on amazon for fairly cheap..
How does the size of the Amazon clay ammo compare to 3/8 steel shot and 1/2 marbles?
The ones I got are just a tad smaller than 3/8 I believe.. So far I'm loving them.. They are a bit lighter but seem to fly great with no issues.. Love the fact that I can go hike around and shoot without leaving ball bearings all over.. They explode on impact when hit on harder surfaces and are totally biodegradable..

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are some clay ammo balls left out in the rain. The hard pottery balls are intact while the soft mud balls are mush.
They are both made from clay. The hard ones are kiln fired at a high temp. The soft mud ones are air dried.

I am air drying mine. They ended up about .50 size and feel like the same weight as 3/8 steel shot. I will report back after I get a chance to shoot a few.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The ones I got are just a tad smaller than 3/8 I believe.. So far I'm loving them.. They are a bit lighter but seem to fly great with no issues.. Love the fact that I can go hike around and shoot without leaving ball bearings all over.. They explode on impact when hit on harder surfaces and are totally biodegradable..
They are great for outdoor shooting. No need to worry about a catch box! I am thinking about a course w/ Zombie targets taped to wood planks for our friends's kids.

·
Mojave Mo
5,153 Posts
They are great for outdoor shooting. No need to worry about a catch box! I am thinking about a course w/ Zombie targets taped to wood planks for our friends's kids.
Okay. I've been trolling your thread Blue Raja then it finally hit me where this is going. We need a supply of Clay Ammo with the ability to hold a Tranquilizing Sedative or Mild Nerve Agent to use in hostile environments of with my kids friends. Perhaps the clay itself because something like a hashish ball that vaporizes on impact? I have government contacts, maybe land us a huge defense contract? Lemmeknow, MM

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay. I've been trolling your thread Blue Raja then it finally hit me where this is going. We need a supply of Clay Ammo with the ability to hold a Tranquilizing Sedative or Mild Nerve Agent to use in hostile environments of with my kids friends. Perhaps the clay itself because something like a hashish ball that vaporizes on impact? I have government contacts, maybe land us a huge defense contract? Lemmeknow, MM

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
MM figured it out! Air dried clay balls are semi porous and will absorb Doxepin, which will release upon contact w/ the skin, causing numbness and sedation, albeit as a side effect. I recommend wearing 2 pairs of rubber gloves when shooting this ammo and watch those RTS's!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.