Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I purchased some 8-10mm clay balls online to try..... maybe scare off some pest fauna.

To date I have only used Simple Shot black .7 22x18mm taper with 7/16" steel.
I have a new roll of .8 yellow Snipersling to begin my band making venture and am going with the same taper for the steel.

What might be a good taper to start with for the clays?

·
Registered
full speed or no speed
61 Posts
So, I purchased some 8-10mm clay balls online to try..... maybe scare off some pest fauna.

To date I have only used Simple Shot black .7 22x18mm taper with 7/16" steel.
I have a new roll of .8 yellow Snipersling to begin my band making venture and am going with the same taper for the steel.

What might be a good taper to start with for the clays?
I've shot SS yellow .8, might be a lil strong but you could give this a try:
go for a very small taper and only :4,5 for active. like an 15-10 or 12-8 taper.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Just a slight word of warning, left up to your discretion of course, but be sure not to underestimate that clay. It packs a little more of a punch than you might expect. I picked up some with the idea of scaring away the feral dog packs around here but after seeing the dent it left in a steel can, I opted for blanks in my .22 instead. I sure as heck wouldn’t want to get hit by one, that’s all I can say 😂. (That being said, that might have been a dense batch)
Watch for projectile rise over longer distances too. Seems like every batch takes a bit of fiddling around with to get dialed in since consistency isn’t all that great with clay from batch to batch. Probably the best I’ve seen for that are Chuck Saunders Clod Poppers but they’re a little pricey. Shooting clay is a dang good time though! Wish I could find some little gongs to shoot at myself. Have fun!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I like clay too. I don't find them to be that accurate, maybe that's just me, but they shatter on impact in a pleasing way, often with a little puff of dust. Generally use what ever I am using for 1/4" steel, which varies. I hit myself in the hand with a clay ball and it left a nice welt. I wonder if furred creatures would feel them though.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I would say that .8 latex you want to go for a very thin taper. I would even say go something like a straight 8 mm or a straight 10 mm at most. The thing with Clay is it it's not always perfectly round and the more power you put behind it the more it goes astray. I like to go with a slightly lighter band set, and be a little bit closer to the Target to get more accuracy out of clay. It is in general 1 gram for a clay ball the same as quarter inch steel but quarter-inch Steel is much more accurate with power behind it. If you're not sure about how much latex to use for clay try going an extra 2 inches on the cut and then you can shorten your bands to tune them up to match one gram of weight.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I shoot 1/2" clay exclusively (12-13mm) and use the same band set up that I used for for 3/8" steel. @Standstorm is correct - Saunders Clod Poppers are the best clay ammo - very consistent in size and weight - but tend to be expensive.

PGN clay ammo works well. Not as accurate as Saunders, but reasonably consistent:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have gotten 3/8 from PGN and found it to be a bit variable in size but solid and usable. If all I had was thicker latex I'd opt for straight cuts about the size of the ammo or slightly smaller and adjust the band length to avoid the hand slap . Might be a good time to go buy some cheap exercise bands with varying strengths and see if one of those won't do the job. I gave some frames to a few friends for their kids and used the exercise bands with great success and they last a good bit of time with light ammo.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have tried rubber bands with light ammo. I really don't like it, it has a heavy draw and does not feel like it has a smooth return for me. That being said there are quite a few people who use the chained number 64 and really like them. As cheap as they are it could not hurt to try see if you like it. Let us know what setup you go with, I'd be interested to see how thin the band you need with .8 latex.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts