Slingshots Forum banner

Clay ball finger slides

2K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  BushpotChef 
#1 ·
I seen a guy do this on utube not sure u.Clay guys seen it but it’s cool . So what he did was get some bamboo find a size u wish to make your balls from . Cut the piece off little more than u want your slides to be . Than spit the pice in half he used only one half for his slides But sky the limit . If your 2 pieces together look like a football rub the on sand paper until it’s round . Knock all your edges down u don’t need a splinter . Than put a piece clay in and slide back and forth get a perfect ball . I know pre made is cheap but like he said calms the mind . Here some pics of my first one will see how it goes later . Not sure I am even a clay shooter I bought 2 pounds of it a while ago I rolled 1 pound and there not so uniform. I seen this and I will try this out if all is a bust wife use the sticks in the garden

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
I tried it but prefer to just roll it between my fingers [emoji23]... I think the difficulty is splitting the tube precisely down the middle.... Having said that however, there is a better chance to achieve that with bamboo given its naturally linear structure... (Just be careful not to cut yourself with freshly split bamboo... fun fact: split bamboo is traditionally used for circumcision by some cultures!).

#12 ·
Pb this is a very cool idea and Lo & behold I was going to the store for some of that purple pack clay tomorrow while I'm at Dollarma, its my favorite kind. I've rolled so many balls by hand now they come out within 10-15 grains of eachother and are about 90% spherical. This would be cool to knock out a bunch in a short period of time, I'll have to look around for a chunk of bamboo to try it with, but only after I find out how it worked out for you lol!

Staying tuned

Reactions: 31610
#13 ·
I think someone here has shared before that the principle is like a boilie (sp?) rolling tray... if I can find a tray that rolls the right size for me, I'd buy it... The problem I found with just using a tube is the challenge of sliding it parallel. I think if they are mounted on rails or a slide channel to keep it straight they'd be alright. Maybe at least one piece needs to be glued/clamped down or it gets a little fiddly? When trying the tubes I found I had to touch up between my fingers anyway, so I gave up and stuck with manual rolling. Anyway, that's my experience but I am sure someone will come up with solutions and get it to work well... So I am gonna keep my eye on this thread for ideas!

Example of a boilie tray... not mine, pic from google...

ebb4a5fd10c5986aa82219bb754d333f.jpg

#14 ·
Ok I almost 2 hours and yes u can get a perfect ball but u need just the right amount so pinch some off or add a pinch . Funny thing is u have to roll a ball to start than minus or add if u don't get right amount than u set down and get a flat spot any way .
If u try it I would get the two hafts as equal as u can don't have one deeper than the other . Guess I will let them dry see how they look in the daylight.

Attachments

#15 ·
Pb this is a very cool idea and Lo & behold I was going to the store for some of that purple pack clay tomorrow while I'm at Dollarma, its my favorite kind. I've rolled so many balls by hand now they come out within 10-15 grains of eachother and are about 90% spherical. This would be cool to knock out a bunch in a short period of time, I'll have to look around for a chunk of bamboo to try it with, but only after I find out how it worked out for you lol!
Staying tuned
if u get them that close I just buy another pack of clay forget the bamboo dude . Just my opinion

#16 ·
I think someone here has shared before that the principle is like a boilie (sp?) rolling tray... if I can find a tray that rolls the right size for me, I'd buy it... The problem I found with just using a tube is the challenge of sliding it parallel. I think if they are mounted on rails or a slide channel to keep it straight they'd be alright. Maybe at least one piece needs to be glued/clamped down or it gets a little fiddly? When trying the tubes I found I had to touch up between my fingers anyway, so I gave up and stuck with manual rolling. Anyway, that's my experience but I am sure someone will come up with solutions and get it to work well... So I am gonna keep my eye on this thread for ideas!
I like the concept it be faster and u get nice round balls but the perfect amount of clay is the kicker . It be a real long time if u scaled them out lol .

#17 ·
Ok I almost 2 hours and yes u can get a perfect ball but u need just the right amount so pinch some off or add a pinch . Funny thing is u have to roll a ball to start than minus or add if u don't get right amount than u set down and get a flat spot any way .
If u try it I would get the two hafts as equal as u can don't have one deeper than the other . Guess I will let them dry see how they look in the daylight.
They look really good! Perfect product! [emoji109][emoji7]

#19 ·
I like the concept it be faster and u get nice round balls but the perfect amount of clay is the kicker . It be a real long time if u scaled them out lol .
I understand that you are supposed to first roll out or press out a whole bar (that wld fit in a channel), then turn the bar 90 degrees and press. The frame would cut the bar as you roll and out comes perfectly formed balls... at least in theory [emoji23]

#21 ·
I hear that PB I'll probably just do that lol, if that boilie tray was a viable option Id use it theres guys from the Philippines who use those to great effect but I imagine thats from years and years of practice. I can knock out quite a few very quickly and finish them off in the toaster over 425 for 12 mins and they're perfect.

If you guys are interested let me know & Ill make a video I have a few little tricks to make it easier & my camera is up & running again :) .

#22 ·
I hear that PB I'll probably just do that lol, if that boilie tray was a viable option Id use it theres guys from the Philippines who use those to great effect but I imagine thats from years and years of practice. I can knock out quite a few very quickly and finish them off in the toaster over 425 for 12 mins and they're perfect.

If you guys are interested let me know & Ill make a video I have a few little tricks to make it easier & my camera is up & running again :) .
Would love to see that video BPC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 ·
Well I think turned out ok for first go with the finger slides . Was 2 hours and got 128 .5 balls . The little 10mm ish I rolled with fingers. It’s was not bad making them really . Well what u guys think basically made a ball a minute and I was by no means working like a dog ! Watching tv rolling ammo ????

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.