Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've personally used it for small birds and it can be devastatingly effective. Whats your experiences? Do you make it or buy it - and if so where do source from? Whats the largest critter you've taken with clay? Am I going to keep asking questions?

Lol what's your 2 pennies on it everyone?

If nothing else they look sweet when they burst of a hard surface...

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

Reactions: Ibojoe and Tag

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've played with some 3/8" clay I got from an Amazon seller, around 400 for $9 or so. They're a fun fire-n-forget option for the environmentally conscious like myself, but they don't fly too well over longer distances because they're so light.

I would never try hunting with them, but I don't hunt anyway. I think a larger size would be necessary for hunting. It is fun to shoot them at steel signs and fence posts though, they explode nicely and you don't have to worry about damage from ricochets or fork hits.

·
Banned
1,927 Posts
I bought a bag of 500 clay balls on eBay and carry them in the p/u to have as throw away ammo that I can shoot anywhere I might happen to get the urge to sling some lead....or clay that is. Fortunately, I am able, barely able that is, to buy the meat I crave at the local Grocery Outlet or Smart and Final. Meaning I am fortunate enough not to need to shoot birds, rabbits squirrels and other unclean to eat meat.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a bag of 500 clay balls on eBay and carry them in the p/u to have as throw away ammo that I can shoot anywhere I might happen to get the urge to sling some lead....or clay that is. Fortunately, I am able, barely able that is, to buy the meat I crave at the local Grocery Outlet or Smart and Final. Meaning I am fortunate enough not to need to shoot birds, rabbits squirrels and other unclean to eat meat.
I use them for pests like sparrows, nothing I would consider eating. I use steel almost exclusivley & my rabbits, squirrels & doves are generally quite clean.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I shoot them a lot.

Found out that they work best with a light bandset. I shoot them with Precise 0.45 (grey) or lighter. They fly straight over long distances with light bandsets and veer only when I use too much rubber.

As they are environmentally friendly, I don't mind letting them fly in my garden. I use them on the monkeys and it gives them a good scare without hurting them too much.

I have found there are two types of clay shot. A harder type like terracotta and a softer mud ball type that is more frangible. The hard clay can bounce back sometimes while the mud will always break up.

The mud ones are just as fun though. I use mud balls to pick wasps and bugs off the wall and I have a lot of fun doing that. I blame the left behind spots of mud on the wasps in case my wife asks (and I am not lying...!) anyway, the mud spots eventually fall off. I have also shot at the passing crow with the softer mud stuff and it didn't do much more than scare the bird, despite a direct hit.

And lastly, they are also a great learner's ammo. I used it to start on PFS. They are quite forgiving in the event of a forkhit, it just goes up in a cloud of dust!

My 2 cents - it's fun ammo and I always like to have some on hand.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I shoot them a lot.

Found out that they work best with a light bandset. I shoot them with Precise 0.45 (grey) or lighter. They fly straight over long distances with light bandsets and veer only when I use too much rubber.

As they are environmentally friendly, I don't mind letting them fly in my garden. I use them on the monkeys and it gives them a good scare without hurting them too much.

I have found there are two types of clay shot. A harder type like terracotta and a softer mud ball type that is more frangible. The hard clay can bounce back sometimes while the mud will always break up.

The mud ones are just as fun though. I use mud balls to pick wasps and bugs off the wall and I have a lot of fun doing that. I blame the left behind spots of mud on the wasps in case my wife asks (and I am not lying...!) anyway, the mud spots eventually fall off. I have also shot at the passing crow with the softer mud stuff and it didn't do much more than scare the bird, despite a direct hit.

And lastly, they are also a great learner's ammo. I used it to start on PFS. They are quite forgiving in the event of a forkhit, it just goes up in a cloud of dust!

My 2 cents - it's fun ammo and I always like to have some on hand.
Thanks urbanshooter thats a great view of the humble clay ball. I tell you what, those little mud balls exploding like that really does a number on small birds!

·
Freezin' my Butt Off
709 Posts
I wouldn't use them for anything larger than a small bird or mouse. I have found that even rocks lack the density to make a clean kill on larger animals.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
I made a bunch of big stone-sized ones out of "blackjack" clay that you get at the hobby store.
Tear off a piece, roll it up, repeat until you're bored and then bake them for however long it takes (I forget, it's been a while). I made them oval or egg shaped.
They're still not as heavy as an equivalent rock but the uniformity you can get over an entire batch is better than you get buying a bag of landscape rock and picking out the good ones.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I made a bunch of big stone-sized ones out of "blackjack" clay that you get at the hobby store.
Tear off a piece, roll it up, repeat until you're bored and then bake them for however long it takes (I forget, it's been a while). I made them oval or egg shaped.
They're still not as heavy as an equivalent rock but the uniformity you can get over an entire batch is better than you get buying a bag of landscape rock and picking out the good ones.
Yeah Ive used that stuff top MJ, plastecine.

Reactions: Ibojoe and M.J

·
Registered
625 Posts
Never tried clay. With the band sets I like I bet I would be getting a good smart hand slap every shot with ammo that light.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never tried clay. With the band sets I like I bet I would be getting a good smart hand slap every shot with ammo that light.
Lol I hear that, I went through quite a bit of that when I first discovered them.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
3/8 clay alot here...got them off of amazon,think was 1000 for $15. Weighs same as 1/4steel. These are great for throw away ammo. Also let's me "sight in" anywhere,see how I'm grouping etc...
Sighting in anywhere, thata a good purpose. :)

Reactions: Jonesy22

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts
I dug my clay out of the Swanee River and making the balls the size of large stones and then fire Harden they work good out of slow bands
was that "Way down along the Swanee river"?lol!! Sorry couldn't resist. I made some out of the craft store stuff as well but packed mine full of bbs for extra weight. I figure their pretty popular cause their all over Amazon.

·
Registered
149 Posts
3/8 clay alot here...got them off of amazon,think was 1000 for $15. Weighs same as 1/4steel. These are great for throw away ammo. Also let's me "sight in" anywhere,see how I'm grouping etc...
Sighting in anywhere, thata a good purpose. :)

These are what I got...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts