Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
A big welcome. Magnolia is really really cool place.
There were some threads on cnc a while back. Our search function is kinda strange so just google cnc slingshot and it will steer you to the threads. Use the personal messaging. To contact the author of the thread.
I'm pretty sure none of this makes sense. But good luck friend.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A big welcome. Magnolia is really really cool place.
There were some threads on cnc a while back. Our search function is kinda strange so just google cnc slingshot and it will steer you to the threads. Use the personal messaging. To contact the author of the thread.
I'm pretty sure none of this makes sense. But good luck friend.
Haha thank you!!!! It mostly made sense, no worries!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hi NDavis,

Eric Au of Metro Grade Goods used G-code as far as I remember our discussion. But he is away from slingshots for a while. Anyways might worth a try to contact him.

Honestly I can really encourage you to build up your versions/designs by exploring the workflow of making CNC cores/frames for slingshots. I am sure you can find audience and support or further tips. CNC frames are just awesome anyway :)

Cheers,

Tremo

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hi I really don't see the justification of using cnc for a slingshot unless you plan on making a whole punch of the same exact thing .
Personally I would just draw then cut them by hand you can use cardboard to make a model of what you want to build first.
I do like craftsmanship, just like you. Till this day I cut my models first before going to CAD. Often doing it even without powertools. But there are many materials and designs that requires the utmost precision and not just uniformity. CNC allows to reduce sizes at joints and mounts, manipulate weight distribution and use resistant materials.

Don't forget, it is about the challenge and joy of creation. CNC, woodwork, casting, lamination all for the same, to gain knowledge and having fun.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Hi I really don't see the justification of using cnc for a slingshot unless you plan on making a whole punch of the same exact thing .
Personally I would just draw then cut them by hand you can use cardboard to make a model of what you want to build first.
I do like craftsmanship, just like you. Till this day I cut my models first before going to CAD. Often doing it even without powertools. But there are many materials and designs that requires the utmost precision and not just uniformity. CNC allows to reduce sizes at joints and mounts, manipulate weight distribution and use resistant materials.

Don't forget, it is about the challenge and joy of creation. CNC, woodwork, casting, lamination all for the same, to gain knowledge and having fun.
what you say is all true , but I still like the old fashioned way better before all the high tech computers 3d modeling programs were available design was all hand crafted models even though I know how to do CAD cnc and have the programs . For slingshots I prefer to do all hand drawn and curved by hand work it's more fun to me that way and becomes like art work to me more then just a slingshot .
Obviously the precision you can get with cnc can not be beat but for a costume slingshot it's not really needed .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi NDavis,

Eric Au of Metro Grade Goods used G-code as far as I remember our discussion. But he is away from slingshots for a while. Anyways might worth a try to contact him.

Honestly I can really encourage you to build up your versions/designs by exploring the workflow of making CNC cores/frames for slingshots. I am sure you can find audience and support or further tips. CNC frames are just awesome anyway :)

Cheers,
Tremo
Thanks!! Very much appreciated! I will make my own programs as well, but if there is someone that already has some that are proven that would sure be helpful!lol I have been a machinist for about a decade but have just never explored using CNC to make my slingshots yet so it's new territory for me and getting tips from those who have done it before also gets past a lot of troubleshooting! Cheers mate!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely not going to stop making them by hand! I am also exploring production as well as maybe making some more solid reusable templates.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Just thought I should throw this in for guys who want to build their own CNC machine. The Mechmate forum has guys in all stages and people that can help you build yours along with you. I've got a friend who built one and they are nice. Lots of options if you're so inclined.

Here's the link-
http://www.mechmate.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts