Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have enjoyed my Cold Steel Blowguns, but the one thing that has bothered me was while shooting I would put the end of the barrel on the ground or walk with it like a walking stick without plastic end pushed on without realizing it. Then the other thing that was annoying was when I put the cap on then get ready to "blow" and there was the cap that I forgot to remove. For those that have not used the cold steel caps they are soft plastic and wouldn't last a 1 mile hike without being destroyed.

So I cut the very end of the plastic caps off and went to Lowe's and started searching for an end that I could hike with and shoot through... without removing a cap. My 4ft Pro version has almost twice the barrel thickness of the 5ft Tim Wells take down version so I would need to find two different caps.

The 5ft blowgun I found the perfect steel end that fit almost exactly over the plastic cap. Then it was just a little too loose for the barrel so I added some 3M electrical tape and painted the steel end black.

For the 4ft Pro I had to sand down the inside of the copper fitting to get the plastic cap to go in right and since I took my time with the sanding my copper walking stick end fit perfectly without any tape. Knowing copper is a lot weaker then steel I found a second fitting that I fit exactly in the bigger end and cut off the excess and super glued it in place to double the thickness of the copper walking end.

Surprisingly both walking ends fit just right with the rubber stopper end seen in the picture with no adjustments or tape. I might use the rubber end if I were hiking and it were muddy to keep the barrel clean. As it is the new walking ends give about 1" of gap between the end of the barrel and the very end that touches the ground. Any dust or debris can be easily blown out before shooting.

I like having the end of the barrel always protected and not having to worry about loosing a little plastic cap or where I may have laid it down. Being the 4ft Pro has a thicker barrel I feel more comfortable using it to hike and shoot with on the trail...but really the 5ft Tim Wells is strong enough to use as a walking stick too. But since both shoot exactly the same at 10 meters I think the 4ft would what I would use on a fun hike, not a hunting hike right now.

That is my story and I hope everyone is having a Great weekend. I am OK... I doing chemo right now and just got my covid 19 shot yesterday so not feeling the best...but should be good for work on Monday. Even still I will get my Sling and Blowgun practice in today to keep me sharp!

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
Have you ever thought of heating a section of pvc pipe and force it in as the muzzle guard? I wish to have that ColdSteel pro version, just nowhere to be found in my country, just the cheap small cal. China flimsy blowguns. I got ColdSteel knives from eBay, but never their blowgun.

A body full of health is the best, otherwise we can't enjoy our hobbies.

·
See The Target
21,988 Posts
I haven't done it yet but I was going to punch out some leather discs and contact cement then to the CS end cap . Should be very durable . Only thing is I still have to remember to remove it when taking a shot .

Hope for the best in your treatments .

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the well wishes Treefork. Leather would definitely help the longevity of the cap, but then yes you'd have to remember to take it off and on. I like the metal ends since they're always there and I don't have to think about damaging the end of my barrel.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.