Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I'd like to see parts 3 and 4/4, if you have and can post them.

I'm planning to setup an armored wall backstop in my detached garage for archery and slinging, and it'd be fairly straight forward to get a carpet remnant for the floor to handle knife bouces.

Dunno if my shoulder can do overhead but underhand is possible.

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
I have an old, 1960's Throwing Bowie it's called a "Bowie Axe" very collectable and sells for around $90 bucks last i saw on Ebay. I have used it as a camp knife over the years, chops wood, digs, handles hot pots and hammers tent pegs well. Very heavy and thick Knife, 1/4" full tang. Tried throwing a few times but not my thing.
Philly

Attachments

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
After posting this, I was curious and looked up the "Tru-Balance Bowie Axe" and to my great suprise it's value seems to have gone up. Mine was purchased in 1962 used for $5.00. E*** has them going for up to $175.00. Not a bad investment .
Philly

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Thanks, HOE.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MTE8EVKJNec
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_0pibCuLoc&feature=related

Does anyone here play with this? I just don't have a proper space to practise and I suck at throwing weapons.

This style can be used to throw ANY pointy objects, long swords, screwdrivers, scissors, files and so on. It's a very useful skill to master.
Why would you want to throw your knife? Do you want to arm your enemy?!?
I used to work as a Deputy, and I've seen many stabbings... most were not fatal and in fact most of them the stabbed person was still able to fight on just fine. When you throw a knife, you're basically stabbing one time (IF you can stick it into a moving target with clothing), and at the same time disarming yourself.
But then there is the cool factor though... throwing a knife well is a fun thing to do when showing off to your friends!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Why would you want to throw your knife? Do you want to arm your enemy?!?
I used to work as a Deputy, and I've seen many stabbings... most were not fatal and in fact most of them the stabbed person was still able to fight on just fine. When you throw a knife, you're basically stabbing one time (IF you can stick it into a moving target with clothing), and at the same time disarming yourself.
But then there is the cool factor though... throwing a knife well is a fun thing to do when showing off to your friends!
Ancient Japanese warriors throw bo shurikens in sword fighting, there are even styles which throws the sword like a spear at the enemy when he doesn't expect it. It's better that you have another long weapon on hand when throwing. Shuriken is usually aimed at eyes.

Seeing the force this man can throw, I believe the pointy objects can penetrate skulls or even stick deep into flesh and bones. Now that's some serious power, it penetrates much deeper than one can stab. The knives Ralph throws can even go through roofing sheet, I can imagine what it will do to bones. I won't doubt its combat ability.

·
Registered
108 Posts
bulls**t he came up with it, its bo-shuriken techniques, see this link for more info

im sure most people have heard of the shuriken or ninja star, the bo-shuriken is a straight point, very simple to make. bo means straight rod, like the bo staff, shuriken means blade in the hand, hidden blade.

ive done this before, though not at any real range since i dont have the room, ive made my own and purchased them as well as using various knifes (including a double edged dagger that is now part of a crude spear)

definately great fun and possibly one of the easiest weapons to make, you can do it with chopsticks, pens, **** ive even managed to get a glowstick to penetrate a cardboard box before. any straight object works, though if it has a pointed end it will increase the chances of penetration.

i have to say as a practical weapon im not to sure if in particularly keen on thrown weapons against anything that could use it back or if there is a far bit of cost involved since theyre often easy to lose. but for target throwing its alot of fun. bo shuriken techniques are alot easier to learn than spinning techniques but tend to be less effective over longer distances.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
if you stick a knife into your opponent, you have higher chance of out running him, he now has a weapon in hand plus your knife sticking in and you are a few hundred grams lighter

say if he was someone weak just stab him LOL but a big guy? throw and run?

if it was a video game you can then "kite" him with a slingshot

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
use your slingshot, keep the knife....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.