Slingshots Forum banner

41 - 60 of 124 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Second year on the forum, and suddenly today the site asked me to fill in the captcha!
First, why?
Secondly, this is a very outdated bot recognition technology.
I just stay logged in to avoid it.

The developers are still working to find the optimum balance between preventing spammers while at the same time not hindering our legit members.

Check following the following tool/extension to help limit how often you have to deal with CAPTCHA.

FWIW I installed this extension on my Chrome browser. Once it was installed I clicked each option for tokens to prevent it from happening as much in the future.

- Cricket

Science is magic that works
Are you blocking any cookies? Once you log in, you shouldn't need to log in again while navigating through the site.

- Cricket
Hi, thanks it seems to have gone away, sorry, I was just frustrated, I will slowly learn

Registered
I was slightly surprised when I signed in last night, but after checking it out, I like it.馃憤

Same here. I had forgotten there was an upgrade scheduled... caught me by surprise, it did!

Tried the dark mode yet? It's very cool.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The advertising is popping up like bad children that ate too much sugar as I go from page to page.
I wanted to take a moment to assure you that we are listening to all the feedback

That being said, this site is supported by ads. As you already know, that鈥檚 how we keep the lights on around here.

As it turns out, servers, bandwidth, security, and maintenance aren鈥檛 free. ;)

Although the site will remain free for members, there is a premium option available for those who may be interested.

- Cricket

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
In my humble opinion, a successful forum community has never been about the platform. It is about the amazing members who come together to share a common interest and along the way true friendships are developed.

I have been helping sites transition to the new forum software since May of 2019. In that time I have noticed that during the first 30 days or so, traffic tends to slow down a bit while folks adjust to the new navigation and features. Somewhere between 60 - 90 days the activity increases and the community begins to grow. Give it some time. We will get there.:)

We will be seeing regular updates that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers.

- Cricket

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
How do I opt out of this "algo" . I don't want my viewing determined for me , I can make my own decisions as to what interests me.

New Homepage Experience
Our algorithm will serve a personal customized feed based on your prior engagement with content on the site. If you鈥檝e liked and or commented, or are following certain topics that are of interest to you, similar content will appear at the top of the homepage.
You certainly don't have to use the home page. :)

You may prefer starting with NEW.

- Cricket

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
And please tell me where the 'Recent Status Updates' is located ... or has it disappeared?
Are you looking for new unread posts?

How To Find New Posts

Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what鈥檚 new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts.

On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics. You can also mark all as read.

- Cricket

Registered
Cricket is correct fellas. I鈥檝e been through a few software changes with various employers over the years and the transition is always wonky and a bit frustrating at the beginning. For admin too. There鈥檚 a lot of stuff that needs tweaking and it鈥檚 hours and hours of work for them. The more we can relax into it (the best we can), the less stressful it鈥檒l be for all of us, including admin. We have to understand it鈥檚 not going back to the old platform. The forum owner(s? I don鈥檛 know) made the decision for the change, which is theirs to make, and we鈥檝e just gotta ride the wave on this one. Along the way we can all help each other out with this just the same way we do with slingshot related stuff. I know this is going to be a huge learning curve for some of our older (and very respected) or less tech savvy members (Me), which is completely understandable, but those that are more used to these things will be there to help out those that aren鈥檛. After a while everyone will get used to it and I think we鈥檙e all adult enough here to realize that this is just the way it is now, but we can deal with it, right? If we can take a hand hit, we can take a platform change .
I know, I know鈥less my heart lol. And I know, I鈥檓 new blood here, I don鈥檛 run this show, but I have been through computer crap before. Don鈥檛 worry guys, just give it some time and it鈥檒l all get worked out.

Registered
How do I change the settings so my initial view is the Full Forum Listing instead of the "Recommended Reading" which has absolutely no relevance to what I want to look at?
I follow a couple of popular archery forums that have transitioned to this same type of format and both of those go to the full forum listing instead of the recommended reading listing that some algo says you should see.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
How do I change the settings so my initial view is the Full Forum Listing instead of the "Recommended Reading" which has absolutely no relevance to what I want to look at?
There isn't a setting for this but you can save the page of your choice to your browser as bookmark/favorite.

- Cricket

Registered
Tried that once and it still always comes up to the "recommended" page. Will try again.

update,,,appears to have worked .Had to remove the previous bookmark first:(

Registered
Hey you know, I do have a quick question for admin. Do we have the ability to delete posts or replies with with this new platform? I have a tendency to slip over my tongue.. a lot .

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Hey you know, I do have a quick question for admin. Do we have the ability to delete posts or replies with with this new platform? I have a tendency to slip over my tongue.. a lot .

Only moderators and admins are able to delete a post, as needed, for situations such as duplicate posts. Simply report the post for staff assistance.

Special Note: If a thread is deleted, it then deletes all the responses and thus other people鈥檚 posts too. Or, when deleting a post, people may respond. Then, if you delete one post, the following posts will not make sense - because one is missing it, it destroys the understanding and flow.

- Cricket

Registered
Only moderators and admins are able to delete a post, as needed, for situations such as duplicate posts. Simply report the post for staff assistance.

Special Note: If a thread is deleted, it then deletes all the responses and thus other people鈥檚 posts too. Or, when deleting a post, people may respond. Then, if you delete one post, the following posts will not make sense - because one is missing it, it destroys the understanding and flow.

- Cricket
Understood. The special note makes it clearer, thanks.

41 - 60 of 124 Posts