Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Ray Rowden
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tool Bicycle part Carmine Soil Grass

It's raining today, and that puts a dent in my plan to shoot my nearly finished kit Tube Master Sniper from Pocket Predator. Actually, for all intents and purposed, it is finished. I like the matte surface of the 180 grit I was using last, both on the aluminum core and the HDPE scales.
For just under $20 plus shipping, I got the core of 1/4" thick 6061 Aircraft Aluminum and matching black 1/4" HDPE scales. They are waterjet cut, and match up perfectly. All I had to do was buy some pinning material - 3/8" brass, and JB Weld to put it all together. Then, I used a half-round file and sandpaper to shape it to my satisfaction. I only screwed up one assembly step. I didn't check the tube insertion slot after I clamped up the tips. Some of the epoxy squeeze-out closed a tiny bit of the slot on both side. A business card slid through there before the glue had set would have saved me an hour of picking with an X-acto blade and strips of emery cloth!
Yesterday, I did manage to take a handfull of shots with some 1632 tubes from another shooter, and I loved that. I'm anxious to try it with 2040s and flatbands as well.
I've made several Tube Master Shooters in wood at 75 percent of the template size that Bill Hays posted years ago. At 100 percent, this is a shooter with a wide grip. I find the comfort improves is I relax my holding hand and let the pressure from the tubes flatten the webbing between my thumb and forefinger.
This kit gave me the confidence to try my hand at building a slingshot with scales on a metal core. It went much faster than I expected and I'm delighted with the result.
Tool Bicycle part Hand tool Plant Carmine

Toy Tool Hand tool Plant Finger

Attachments

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
attachicon.gif
TMS1.jpg
It's raining today, and that puts a dent in my plan to shoot my nearly finished kit Tube Master Sniper from Pocket Predator. Actually, for all intents and purposed, it is finished. I like the matte surface of the 180 grit I was using last, both on the aluminum core and the HDPE scales.
For just under $20 plus shipping, I got the core of 1/4" thick 6061 Aircraft Aluminum and matching black 1/4" HDPE scales. They are waterjet cut, and match up perfectly. All I had to do was buy some pinning material - 3/8" brass, and JB Weld to put it all together. Then, I used a half-round file and sandpaper to shape it to my satisfaction. I only screwed up one assembly step. I didn't check the tube insertion slot after I clamped up the tips. Some of the epoxy squeeze-out closed a tiny bit of the slot on both side. A business card slid through there before the glue had set would have saved me an hour of picking with an X-acto blade and strips of emery cloth!
Yesterday, I did manage to take a handfull of shots with some 1632 tubes from another shooter, and I loved that. I'm anxious to try it with 2040s and flatbands as well.
I've made several Tube Master Shooters in wood at 75 percent of the template size that Bill Hays posted years ago. At 100 percent, this is a shooter with a wide grip. I find the comfort improves is I relax my holding hand and let the pressure from the tubes flatten the webbing between my thumb and forefinger.
This kit gave me the confidence to try my hand at building a slingshot with scales on a metal core. It went much faster than I expected and I'm delighted with the result.
attachicon.gif
TMS2.jpg
attachicon.gif
TMS3.jpg
Yes!! I just finished one as well and feel every second of that build.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that KawKan looks like Dale Horvath (Jeffrey DeMunn) on The Walking Dead? Of course, I mean that as a compliment.

Seriously - very nice build. Looking Forward to reading about how it shoots.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looks great! Appears to be able to ttf & ott band it also, or are my ancient eyes deceiving me? Every darn time I think there's enough slings in my collection... well, it's better than collecting other things, like ex-wives etc:

·
Neophyte
2,126 Posts
That came out beautifully, very nice :)

Reactions: Tag and KawKan

·
Ray Rowden
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks great! Appears to be able to ttf & ott band it also, or are my ancient eyes deceiving me? Every darn time I think there's enough slings in my collection... well, it's better than collecting other things, like ex-wives etc:
It has a very flexible fork design. I think of it as an OTT tube shooter and a TTF flatband shooter, but those are my favorite shooting styles. I think you need material stronger than wood to have confidence in a design like that. I've never drilled the forktips in my wooden copies.

·
Ray Rowden
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that KawKan looks like Dale Horvath (Jeffrey DeMunn) on The Walking Dead? Of course, I mean that as a compliment.

Seriously - very nice build. Looking Forward to reading about how it shoots.
LOL! You're hurting me now!

As a kid, I thought I resembled Alfred Newman from Mad Magazine.

I had to Google up DeMunn. He's quite distinguished looking, so Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts