Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Hey folks,

Been toying around with the idea of a collapsible survival slingshot. Originally I was thinking of how I could convert an old maglite into a slingshot and came up with this.

It's a 100mm long piece of 1" tubing with end caps and a detachable fork that can be stored inside the tube along with a hand full of ammo. I have used clamps on the forks to allow any and every type of bands to be attached. Yes it has very low forks, approx 20mm so flip style is a must.

All I need now is a lathe and mill to make it a reality
Joerg, did I read that you have a lathe and a mill ? Want to have a go at it ?

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Great ideal! Have you thought of a way to prevent the end cap from unscrewing when you apply tension to the bands?
Wayne

·
Registered
116 Posts
I like the deign!

I think it could possibly be made with a good tap and die set and some metal cutting blades.

It also could possibly be made from Schedule 40 or some other thick walled PVC Pipe.

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments guys, I hope to be able to attempt making it soon.

@ Orcrender : Hopefully unscrewing wont be an issue. With equal tension on both sides of the fork, it should stay where it is. Also, I'm not planning to get a lot of use with it, just to have it tucked away for emergiences. You know, when the beer cans start attacking

@ Wild Willy : Yup, I'm pretty sure tap and die would work but getting the right sized tube and cap might be an issue there. I recently bought a set of 4 BSP taps (Beginning, intermediate, bottom, tapered) which cost quite a bit. I'm scared to look at the price for a good quality 1" tap & die set. Schedule 40, nah, I wouldn't trust it. Good under pressure, but tensile strength is very average. Besides, any pressure rated PVC I have about lasts about 10 seconds before it gets turned into another pneumatic cannon!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi!
Your design is awesome!!

Just as an idea, I think some allen screws could fit better, instead of those regular screws, also an allen wrench could easily fit inside the tubing, so you have at hand the assemble kit

Thanks for sharing and Keep up the good work!

Kanoko

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi!
Your design is awesome!!

Just as an idea, I think some allen screws could fit better, instead of those regular screws, also an allen wrench could easily fit inside the tubing, so you have at hand the assemble kit

Thanks for sharing and Keep up the good work!

Kanoko
Wicked idea man! Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Hmmm thinking, thinking... Who do I know with a lathe?

Very inginious. Those zombies aint going to expect this!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I have tried very similar designs, but in the end the problem is how to stow the rubber. You would not believe how much room a sstandard band set needs, let alone a set of power bands!

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have tried very similar designs, but in the end the problem is how to stow the rubber. You would not believe how much room a sstandard band set needs, let alone a set of power bands!
I tested the idea using the handle of an old C size maglight. I found using 4 strand 1745 tubes, I was able to fit it all in with about 7 or 8 .50 cal lead balls, 15 or so 3/8 steel.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I think you should add o-rings and store rubber inside instead of shot. You can get projectiles from your environment, but not rubber.

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you look at the pic, there are o-rings. The o-ring at the fork is left out when assembled. The bands and ammo both store inside.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts