Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Early in 2010 is when the idea was conceived to make an aluminum core, board-cut slingshot. I wanted to make and sell slingshots, but I wanted them to be different. I didn't want to make another, all-wooden slingshot. There were other custom craftsmen making wooden slingshots, and I didn't want to saturate, nor step on any toes. Furthermore, I wanted heirloom quality, and a product that really stood out. I wanted it to be safe, I wanted it to perform, and to appeal to everyone.​
Early models of the EPS utilized carbon fiber as the spacing material, between the wood and aluminum. I was informed that the bond between aluminum and carbon fiber was not a good marriage. These materials do not like to be mated to one another, creating galvanic, or cathodic corrosion. While many intelligent opinions felt like I would be safe laminating these materials to one another, I made the decision to move to kydex for the spacing material.The kydex worked well, but it just wasn't as appealing as the carbon fiber. So a couple months ago, I began using G10 FR4, and I couldn't be happier.​
The EPS measures 3.5" x 5.5", with a fork gap of 2", and fork tips that are 3/4" wide. The core is 6061- T6 Aluminum, sandwiched by two layers of 1/16" G10, and 1/4" natural wood or synthetic material. The frames weigh between 5 - 6.5oz. There are four pins stratigically placed through the entire laminate, similar to the construction of a knife handle. These pins add some security to the lamination, as well as some cosmetic enhancements. They can be brass, copper, aluminum, hollow, recessed, and alot of things between, upon request.​
The EPS shoots really smooth, thanks to the added weight, and low fork height. More weight equals less recoil, and a low fork height allows the shooter to choke up high on the forks with their grip. This allows for less strain on the wrist. The profile is comfortable to hold for a variety of shooting styles. The EPS is user friendly, and can be shot for hours on end, without discomfort. It is the 2011 ECST championship winning slingshot.​
Recently, I've started production using phenolics (Micarta). It's a very dense material that's waterproof, and pretty much scratch resistant. It will hold its original appearence for a long time, and is maintenance free compared to exotic woods. Still, exotic woods are very popular. Dymondwood is available as well, and I'm sure I will be venturing into other materials in the future.​
The EPS is available for a base price of $99.00 + shipping. The standard model is equipped with solid aluminum or brass pins, a single strand 550 paracord lanyard, twin flat latex bands, and the authenticity coin. Each EPS is sequentially numbered, and is accompanied by a unique authenticity coin with a matching number.​
Upgrades include -​
Braided Paracord Lanyard - $15.00 - (No extra charge for two colors)​
Countersunk Hollow (aluminum or brass) Pins - $10.00​
Countersunk Hollow Stainless Pins - $20.00​
Mosaic Pins - $40.00​
Custom EPS - (two woods united in design per side) - $174.00 (base price)​

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
these aregreat designs i think everyone should have one! and whoo that cocobolo slingshot is mine
im a prond owner

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
I hope Jim doesn't mind if I post this here.
This is my video review of my new EPS.
You can blame the less than stellar shooting on the shooter and on the fact that I've only been shooting it for a couple of days. You'll be seeing alot of this one from me in upcoming contests and videos!
I wish I could figure out how to put the video in the post like I used to!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts