Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am now practicing more than making, and seeing improvement in aim. i rotate between 6 ss's as i practice, just to learn to be flexible making the weakest point disappear. as i did i was shooting the aluminum Hays ring shooter rigged OTF not the best idea, is was shooting well but than i began fidgeting with the finger orientation, so i kinda forgot where i was for a moment and just let loose, a dull sound later and the colest fork hit i have seen happened. the 3/8 steel tried to bury itself in the aluminum, i always watch the flight of the ammo, so i watched as the shot first dug then popped up maybe 3 inches kinda spinning than stopped and dropped only a few feet in fron of me. sweet!
IMG_0008.JPG
it was OTF, since the hit, it is now OTT, the space between forks is small 1 3/8ths = 35mm

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
I would have expected problems with that narrow spacing if you had been shooting with the bands running insided the forks (Through The Forks) ... surprised you got a fork hit with an OTF arrangement. Lucky you did not smack your hand or finger. I doubt that you did any serious damage to that frame! Just goes to show ... you gotta pay attention all the time ... I keep reminding myself!!!!

Cheers .... Charles

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
I would have expected problems with that narrow spacing if you had been shooting with the bands running insided the forks (Through The Forks) ... surprised you got a fork hit with an OTF arrangement. Lucky you did not smack your hand or finger. I doubt that you did any serious damage to that frame! Just goes to show ... you gotta pay attention all the time ... I keep reminding myself!!!!

Cheers .... Charles
it really does not take much distraction to go south. i was surprised as well, chalk it up to experience when i watched happen it was like slow motion. but Charles i think the real problem was that i was shooting 3/8ths steel out of a Rayshot BB pouch, i think it rolled out of the pouch just enough to give me the first and only fork hit, nothing wrong with battle wounds.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know about the fork hit, but I'm impressed you could see the shot. I usually don't start seeing the ball until about half way to the target!
if it would not have hit the fork i would not have seen it either, since it was alum instead of wood it kinda looked like it held it until the energy transfer pushed it out, it only jumped a few inches up and forward.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i am now practicing more than making, and seeing improvement in aim. i rotate between 6 ss's as i practice, just to learn to be flexible making the weakest point disappear. as i did i was shooting the aluminum Hays ring shooter rigged OTF not the best idea, is was shooting well but than i began fidgeting with the finger orientation, so i kinda forgot where i was for a moment and just let loose, a dull sound later and the colest fork hit i have seen happened. the 3/8 steel tried to bury itself in the aluminum, i always watch the flight of the ammo, so i watched as the shot first dug then popped up maybe 3 inches kinda spinning than stopped and dropped only a few feet in fron of me. sweet!
View attachment 18467
it was OTF, since the hit, it is now OTT, the space between forks is small 1 3/8ths = 35mm
I was lucky I didn´t hit the fork I hit my finger ;-(
After that I´m thinking to change the way I hold my forks ;-)

·
HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
8,259 Posts
"a slingshot aint broken in until it has a fork hit." thats what i tell myself as a positive outlook when i do it, it prevents me from getting mad that i may have ruined the slingshot .
@ FACA- thats a gnarly thumb nail bruise, i had one like that a long time ago only i got mine from a hammer .

Reactions: MeatMechanic

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
View attachment 18467

[/quote]OUCH!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
"a slingshot aint broken in until it has a fork hit." thats what i tell myself as a positive outlook when i do it, it prevents me from getting mad that i may have ruined the slingshot .
@ FACA- thats a gnarly thumb nail bruise, i had one like that a long time ago only i got mine from a hammer .
you are right Imp! the fork hits just reminds me of the potential behind the ss. and you know, the ladies like a guy with scars. you know the whole bad boy thing!

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
A reminder also eye protection.

·
Registered
961 Posts
[sub]it always worries me when i get a fork hit beause it makes me realise the power and the damage that they would do if they hit flesh.[/sub]

·
See The Target
21,435 Posts
I like using as small a pouch as possible with the 3/8's ammo. Shoots fast and far.Seems pretty flat out to 75 ft. I feel I can more readily center the ammo in a small pouch with a centering hole punched in.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[sub]it always worries me when i get a fork hit beause it makes me realise the power and the damage that they would do if they hit flesh.[/sub]
but why worry? worry makes for loss of concentration, its just like anything else, there is risk in everything but the more confidence you have the better you are. injuries heal.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like using as small a pouch as possible with the 3/8's ammo. Shoots fast and far.Seems pretty flat out to 75 ft. I feel I can more readily center the ammo in a small pouch with a centering hole punched in.
large? small? the centering hole is great.

·
~Pouch Maker~
15,472 Posts
I thought only Young ones getting fork hits

That is call Mark of Honor

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yuppers a mark of honor! its not just sitting there gathering dust
That is call Mark of Honor
[/quote]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts