Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Anyone know a good place to get 1/2" copper balls? I have been looking for them asa an alternative to lead. I think that they might be a good compromise to Lead since they are non-toxic, but weigh more than steel. Tungsten is just too expensive

Here is a weight comparison per 1 cubic inch(in pounds):
Aluminum---------------.096
Cast Iron----------------.260
Tin------------------------.263
Wrought Iron-----------.281
Steel--------------------.282
Brass and Bronze---.307
Copper---------------.317
Lead-----------------.409
Tungsten-------------.695-.736*

*Estimate (1.7-1.8x mass of Lead)

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
By the way, this site has about the best price I have seen on tungsten weighs:
http://www.maximum-velocity.com/speed_supplies.htm

They have 1/4" cubes which ill bet would be great for hunting, although bad for target shooting (odd shapes do a lot of damage, but dont fly that straight). The 1/4" cubes weigh .166 oz each, vs .184 oz for a 1/2" steel ball. 1/2 the size, but nearly the same weight.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
6mm copper BBs are about @20 for a jam-jar sized tub.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
A very good choice to stay away from lead. A relative of mine began to get sick and was in and out of doctors offices and hospitals and taking various drugs but no physcician enquired about lead nor done a test for lead in his body. By the time an analysis was done it was too much in his bone and affected making red blood cells or some such thing. He could long since no more work or function on any good level. He died because of lead and not doing something to get it our of his body soon enough. If your exposure to lead exceeds how quickly your body detoxifies it out then you will reap the consequences and the ravages upon your organs, multiple organs will be affected and afflicted from this unforgiving heavy metal. Be very cautious smelting it, breathing it, handleing it, injesting it. I do use lead balls for shooting slingshot sometimes but I purchase the ones completely encased in copper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts