Slingshots Forum banner

Couple of Roasted Maple Naturals

2K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  SLING-N-SHOT 
#1 ·
Jus finished up these two Maple forks.

Both were roasted in the oven to bring out the grain, but the larger one was " heavily " roasted, much hotter and for a longer time.

Hope y'all approve ! [emoji1690]

ddbb65d1a6ea015b59db1eead25a1df3.jpg
f983b3916356aa1c076150d43e6f9ec6.jpg
a9ffb6d59d048d236d0558ae47aac82c.jpg
3446a42dd789050155c43be46571a010.jpg
76c58f103b0fe31be0b12f599374655e.jpg
5e04751e410b109df5c26446cdee47db.jpg
9964905d19af02897e0d6128aff7641e.jpg
12ecdf92c8197b2cf4be79aa01b7f998.jpg
24c505fe28c87abbcc3362467a2f1052.jpg
2c7142fbe20c16bbb6aaefcbc9f2c4a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#7 ·
Yep looks Good! If you are open to suggestion? Whenever you roast Maple, the color comes (of course) from the sugars in the wood. So the scorch on the fork tips is from from the ends heating faster than the main body. You may have seen pictures of turkeys or rack of lamb with lil' booties on the ends of the bone to keep them from burning before the mass cooks. Same apply's here. If you cap the extremities with foil, (shiny side out) you will get a better cook on the main body without burning the lesser extremities. :twocents:

#13 ·
Yep looks Good! If you are open to suggestion? Whenever you roast Maple, the color comes (of course) from the sugars in the wood. So the scorch on the fork tips is from from the ends heating faster than the main body. You may have seen pictures of turkeys or rack of lamb with lil' booties on the ends of the bone to keep them from burning before the mass cooks. Same apply's here. If you cap the extremities with foil, (shiny side out) you will get a better cook on the main body without burning the lesser extremities. :twocents:
Sweeeet tip flipgun, truly appreciate that. I knew the grain popped from the sugars, but didn't even think about why the ends were burning....but should've cuz it makes total sense, and I will definitely try that tip next time, thanks brother. [emoji2937]

#14 ·
Beautiful Darrell. Your wife finally let you use the oven?!?! Lol. I'm really interested in this roasting the maple. I recently acquired a new fender tele, (surprise Christmas present from my wife) it has a roasted maple neck, and it's gorgeous. Really love these!!
LOL Shane, no Sir......I actually caught a great sale (50% off) on some toaster ovens at Kroger, so snapped one up and used that.

Great surprise Christmas gift btw.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone

#15 ·
I've spent days and days 'building' a sling from scraps of wood, metal, garbage...you name it. To see such symmetry and beauty come out of Mother Nature and a tweak of patience makes me want to toss my power grinder.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Nothing like a nice natural Mo, tks. That small one actually reminds me of a Copperhead snake a bit.

BTW, how're you liking new Southern home ? Hope y'all are settling in with no troubles.

#20 ·
Sir, congratulations on those frames!!

Simple, well-finished, stylish classical slingshots. What's not to like?? :D

Clever process of roasting the wood gives them great character. They seem to have endured pretty nicely the high temperatures.

By the way, very nice pictures (as you know, I'm also a fan of seasoned tree stumps as background!!)

Best regards ...Q

#21 ·
Sir, congratulations on those frames!!
Simple, well-finished, stylish classical slingshots. What's not to like?? :D
Clever process of roasting the wood gives them great character. They seem to have endured pretty nicely the high temperatures.
By the way, very nice pictures (as you know, I'm also a fan of seasoned tree stumps as background!!)
Best regards ...Q
Thanks so much Q, love your work as well, and yes I love the backgrounds you use also.
That one I used is a Tulip Poplar we had cut down a good while ago, has some amazing color / spalting to it.

#23 ·
Absolutely beautiful! Such classic shapes.
How do you roast them and what kind of finish did you use?
Thanks so much Chris.....I just put them in a cheap toaster oven for 30 min sessions at 250, and did three sessions, watching them closely so as not to burn them, but the larger / darker one also got a session at 350 degrees

The finish on these is 3 coats of Minwax quick dry Gloss Poly from a rattle can, and buffed with a green scotchbrite pad after fully cured, then 2 coats of Johnson's paste wax rubbed in and buffed with a microfiber towel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.