Slingshots Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 643 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
So how's it goin' in your neck of the woods ..?

In the UK the Government has made the wearing of face coverings in shops and other enclosed places mandatory from the 24th.

Face covering has a broad definition; face masks, bandanas, yer wife's panties. Whatever you like really, provided it's covering your face. This is going to be enforced by the plod with non-compliance meaning on the spot fines of £60.

Already the country is dividing into two camps - those who think this is great news and those who think it's utter nonsense. I tend to agree with the latter group more (for reasons, lack of evidence, virus is 80-120 nm making cloth masks useless etc).

Either way it's going to an interesting social experiment into public behaviour. How many will comply, how many will refuse? The police are objecting saying they have better things to do than enforce this, like fighting crime.

I've bought a crap Chinese bandana for the 24th because I wasn't keen on strapping what looks like a sanitary towel across my face.

Let's see how this kicks off. :ph34r:

·
Registered
189 Posts

In the UK the Government has made the wearing of face coverings in shops and other enclosed places mandatory from the 24th.

Face covering has a broad definition; face masks, bandanas, yer wife's panties. Whatever you like really, provided it's covering your face. This is going to be enforced by the plod with non-compliance meaning on the spot fines of £60.

Already the country is dividing into two camps - those who think this is great news and those who think it's utter nonsense. I tend to agree with the latter group more (for reasons, lack of evidence, virus is 80-120 nm making cloth masks useless etc).

Either way it's going to an interesting social experiment into public behaviour. How many will comply, how many will refuse? The police are objecting saying they have better things to do than enforce this, like fighting crime.

I've bought a crap Chinese bandana for the 24th because I wasn't keen on strapping what looks like a sanitary towel across my face.

Got to agree with you. This whole thing is starting to do my head in.

It really is starting to look like a fascist experiment to see just how far they can push / get away with before the final clamp down.

A couple of years ago we came back to the uk from NZ because we could go anywhere in Europe. Then Brexit?

I lost. I was very quickly over it. Just get on with it so I know what I'm dealing with.
That wasn't happening quickly.

We were planning a buying a motor home and just setting off anyway on the basis that we would make whatever work.

Now this

Was jst thinking maybe we should buy a boat and just sail off over the horizon to somewhere with a minimal Population like Patagonia and the rest of the world can just go and get ******

·
Premium Member
10,840 Posts
Thirty miles from us is West Lafayette Indiana and Purdue University. Purdue university and the city of West Lafayette are mandating mask.In West Laf it’s a $100.00 fine the first time without a mask, and $500.00 for everyone after that. The price of beef has risen quite a bit, but other foods are reasonable. Spray disinfectant is really scarce. Hope everyone stays safe

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Got to agree with you. This whole thing is starting to do my head in.

It really is starting to look like a fascist experiment to see just how far they can push / get away with before the final clamp down.

A couple of years ago we came back to the uk from NZ because we could go anywhere in Europe. Then Brexit?

I lost. I was very quickly over it. Just get on with it so I know what I'm dealing with.
That wasn't happening quickly.

We were planning a buying a motor home and just setting off anyway on the basis that we would make whatever work.

Now this

Was jst thinking maybe we should buy a boat and just sail off over the horizon to somewhere with a minimal Population like Patagonia and the rest of the world can just go and get ******
It's the first time I've genuinely felt like I'm living in some sort of dictatorship - which saddens as much as it angers me. The UK has always worked on the principle of consent; which until recently was to encourage the wearing of face masks. I was perfectly ok with this.

Now we are being told we must under threat of punishment. You're right, where does it end?

I'm hoping for plenty of wilful dissent over the wearing of face coverings. I expect there will be when it becomes apparent the police do actually have better things to do.

Not quite ready to leave the country yet, but yes, the UK should be and is better than this. Boat to Patagonia does sound like a plan though!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a whiff of manure about it, for sure.

The problem we have is high street shops remain largely empty of customers post-lockdown. Which is bad for our economy.

So how to make customers feel safe to go shopping outside again? Make everyone wear face coverings is the answer the Gov't has come up with.

Doesn't matter cloth face coverings won't stop aerosol transmission. Ignore that bit. Just subjugate the masses and get them bloody spending again!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Virus? What virus?

upload-image-5f0dd4f22b863.png

The recovery rate is now more than the infection rate. Each person is now statistically infecting less than 0.8-0.7 people.

Meanwhile, the Foreign Minister, is getting better after blood plasma therapy.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1568969/fm-qureshi-discharged-from-hospital-after-10-days-following-covid-19-treatment

Last Thursday, the foreign minister had dispelled rumours about his health after his Wikipedia profile was edited to falsely reflect that he had 'died' on July 4, saying "there was no truth to them" and that he was "doing well".

In a statement, Qureshi had said that "mischievous" elements had edited his profile on the site. "Many complications were created, and it caused distress to my loved ones and family members," he said.

:banana: Wikipedia..... :banana:

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Latest research from the Office for National Statistics in England say:

Our latest estimates indicate that from 22 June to 5 July 2020, an average of 14,000 people in England had the coronavirus (COVID-19). This equates to 0.03% of the population in England or around 1 in 3,900 individuals.

and

During the 14-day period from 22 June to 5 July 2020, there were an estimated two new COVID-19 infections for every 10,000 individuals per week in the community population in England.

I'm not a fan of dry statistics, but clearly the chances of contracting the virus in England are now low. Around 1 in 5000 if my interpretation is correct.

I think my toaster is probably more of a risk. :what:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
clearly the chances of contracting the virus in England are now low.
Perhaps. But it is still lurking about.... can't take any chances.

It'll be a shame to be done in by some idiot who never took precautions and basically gave themselves the virus.

I refuse to be killed by an idiot.

The Govt is thinking of opening all the schools in a month or two. All the good work will go down the drain, I expect.

Meanwhile, it seems the muggers are getting more and more desperate, thanks to this virus. Never saw THIS happen before.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
clearly the chances of contracting the virus in England are now low.
Perhaps. But it is still lurking about.... can't take any chances.

It'll be a shame to be done in by some idiot who never took precautions and basically gave themselves the virus.

I refuse to be killed by an idiot.
There's no perhaps about it, the epidemic in the UK is well past its peak and the chances of contracting the virus are low.

The precautions we are being told to take - to wear face coverings - are to give confidence to people still too scared to go outside. And in any case do nothing to protect against aerosol transmission of the virus.

Fortuantely I can still make a pragmatic and rational decision on the level of risk involved. Nothing idiotic abut this. :screwy:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm not calling you an idiot... I'm just saying the chance may be lower than before but it's not zero.

My chance of catching it is lower than yours. But I still take precautions and am keeping away from idiots.

What is my definition of an idiot? Someone who runs a business and does not care about Standard Operating Procedures for their workers and partners.

I delivered a shipment to a partner a few days back and he invited me to come inside out of the sun, into his air-conditioned office and have a cup of tea.

1. I don't know whose bum that cup of tea came out of. Thanks but I'll do without.

2. It's safer to enjoy the sun than breathe recirculated air. There was no spike in US after all those protests because they happened out on the street... not in some air-conditioned office.

3. An no, I did not shake his hand. He took offense. Boo hoo.

4. He already got a guy in his family killed by the virus. So I know his practices aren't right for the times.

From what I've seen, people who are religious and want to pray in a mosque even though praying at home is just as fine, get it. Those are idiots.

Cops are also idiots. I don't know what they are doing to each other but they seem to be getting it right left and center. They must be doing something besides the usual standing around with their thumbs up their rears. I just can't figure out WHAT.

The people who don't deserve to get it are the medical workers. So I have not visited my dentist for my yearly teeth cleaning.

Need to keep eyes open. Risk may be lower but you can still get sucker-punched.

And in any case do nothing to protect against aerosol transmission of the virus.
Have to disagree with you there. Masks work in slowing down the spread. They worked in China. They work in Pakistan. If your masks don't work, you got defective masks.

Yes, the virus can still get you even if you are wearing a mask... you can also impregnate a woman while wearing a condom... accidents happen.

Yes, it is also to make people feel better. But it is not totally useless.

Oh and I haven't ordered food since this thing started. And won't until we get our first vaccine (yes, it's on the way). I won't even order pizza.. well I make excellent pizzas myself... won't even order a cheese-burger until 2021 is well under way.

When they had bird-flu I stopped having chicken corn soup for more than a year. Had to make my own.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm not calling you an idiot... I'm just saying the chance may be lower than before but it's not zero.

My chance of catching it is lower than yours. But I still take precautions and am keeping away from idiots.

What is my definition of an idiot? Someone who runs a business and does not care about Standard Operating Procedures for their workers and partners.

I delivered a shipment to a partner a few days back and he invited me to come inside out of the sun, into his air-conditioned office and have a cup of tea.

1. I don't know whose bum that cup of tea came out of. Thanks but I'll do without.

2. It's safer to enjoy the sun than breathe recirculated air. There was no spike in US after all those protests because they happened out on the street... not in some air-conditioned office.

3. An no, I did not shake his hand. He took offense. Boo hoo.

4. He already got a guy in his family killed by the virus. So I know his practices aren't right for the times.

From what I've seen, people who are religious and want to pray in a mosque even though praying at home is just as fine, get it. Those are idiots.

Cops are also idiots. I don't know what they are doing to each other but they seem to be getting it right left and center. They must be doing something besides the usual standing around with their thumbs up their rears. I just can't figure out WHAT.

The people who don't deserve to get it are the medical workers. So I have not visited my dentist for my yearly teeth cleaning.

Need to keep eyes open. Risk may be lower but you can still get sucker-punched.

And in any case do nothing to protect against aerosol transmission of the virus.
Have to disagree with you there. Masks work in slowing down the spread. They worked in China. They work in Pakistan. If your masks don't work, you got defective masks.

Yes, the virus can still get you even if you are wearing a mask... you can also impregnate a woman while wearing a condom... accidents happen.

Yes, it is also to make people feel better. But it is not totally useless.

Oh and I haven't ordered food since this thing started. And won't until we get our first vaccine (yes, it's on the way). I won't even order pizza.. well I make excellent pizzas myself... won't even order a cheese-burger until 2021 is well under way.

When they had bird-flu I stopped having chicken corn soup for more than a year. Had to make my own.
None of which is idiotic either. There is still risk and it wouldn't be sensible to behave as if there were none. Social distancing, frequent hand washing, self-isolation if you present with symptoms, these are things everyone should still be doing. Of course that is sensible.

However your personal sliding scale of risk aversion may (does) differ from mine. Which isn't unusual.

Face masks don't prevent aerosol transmission of covid-19, there is nothing to disagree with here without being wrong! :p

The possibility of aerosol transmission (virus particles suspended in the air) is the reason some choose to wear a mask. Does nothing. Look at the suits virologists wear.

For droplet transmission, the science is incomplete, but it is worth noting the outcomes in other countries. What I've noticed is when someone coughs it's like tossing a frag grenade, tends to clear a space very quickly.

I've got a cheap-*** bandana. If it helps to make other people feel safer, I'll wear it. I'm just not under any illusions about the level of protection it really affords.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm just not under any illusions about the level of protection it really affords.
Masks are not for you. They are for the ones with the virus but don't know it yet.
Asymptomatic people, no coughing, no droplet transmission.

If you are so close to someone they are spitting on you as they talk, probably stand a bit further back.

They will be breathing. So aerosol transmission, maybe. But masks don't work for this.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
But masks don't work for this.
Even if they work 10% and are 90% useless, it'll have a braking effect on mass infection rates.

And they are certainly more effective than 10%.

I get it... you look like George Clooney and don't want to spoil it by wearing a mask.

Well I look like Keanu Reeves and I have no problem wearing one.

Is your Prime Minister wearing a mask these days? He got clobbered good... has he learnt something? Or he is having a panic reaction of some sort?

Asymptomatic people, no coughing, no droplet transmission.
Asymptomatic people are often "super-spreaders". How does that happen, ever wonder?

Wearing masks also stops you from touching your face as often as one normally might just like wearing pants stops people from wanking off in public transport.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
More Jason Statham than Clooney. We share the same haircut and.. erm.. not much else.

Goin' to have to agree to disagree, Sean. Because I've got food to cook. Important stuff.

Looks like the makers of face masks are covering their backsides in case they get sued. Hmmm..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,840 Posts
If you’re having a bad day, watch a soap opera‍♂ the term soap opera came from radio telecast and was sponsored by soap manufacturers. I see why, because most of them should wash their mouth out with soap

1 - 20 of 643 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.