Slingshots Forum banner

581 - 600 of 643 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
I love this meme, and others like it with Ben Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, and so forth. The internet is certainly littered with information. The challenge is how to decide what information is real and what is bogus.

Take for instance the day I recalled how much I liked my wrist rocket as a kid. I hopped on the web and found fantastical claims about slings that didn't need wrist braces and would shoot 30% faster than my old wrist rocket with only half the draw weight using these things called "flat bands". Pretty amazing, almost shocking! But also intriguing! Especially when I dug a bit deeper and found that fascinating topic that is tapers.

So I looked around and noticed that several independent people were making the same claims and that several independent people were also posting results from tests. So while amazing, it looked like it might be legit, even though I found it on web. Either that or it was a cabal of liars, or a gaggle of delusional lunatics, or.... But I was still intensely interested nonetheless.

After digging a bit deeper I found not only claims and information from tests, but also some cool descriptions of this flat elastic which came in several varieties, an interesting history that included the evolution of these varieties (like from TBG to current elastics) and some "sciency" discussion of how these gains were possible- like the engineering discussion behind surface area to volume ratio of bands as the explanation for why bands out perform tubes, the explanations for why tapers do better than straights, the explanation why extended draws perform better than short draws (longer power stroke), etc..

From there I went on to actually get some of the stuff and do some testing myself. One of top ten best things I've done in the past decade!

So after some critical thinking, I arrived at the wonderful conclusion that the corner of the web known as "the slingshot forum" actually contains a wealth of valid, true, and useful information! Even though I found it and have only seen it on the web.

Sort of the way I approach the rest of the web. Not believing or disbelieving without first asking, pondering, kicking the tires, thinking critically, etc. And being the way I am, craving numbers and facts over opinions no matter how "expert" they are or how closely they align with mine.

The web is really no different from the radio, tv, or coffee shop counter. Just a whole lot bigger. All places will contain a lot of information and claims. Some of them will be real and valid, some of them not so much. And whether it be the radio, diner counter, or the web, it is up to the user to learn how to sift it or end up being a sucker for it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Are the students in class now or has summer break begun ?
I just got my final grading done and submitted earlier this week- I am currently out picking my son up from college a thousand miles away. Frustratingly, this has turned into the tour of the closed campgrounds along the front range of the Rockies- was looking forward to some nice relaxing time along the way but wasn't to be. But I did bring a couple of slings and have gotten to relax for a bit in some nice places most days.

The "what were the top ten causes of death in 2020" was an extra credit question on the take home final. We never went over the numbers in class but we took some time to discuss during the final exam period.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The "what were the top ten causes of death in 2020" was an extra credit question on the take home final.
The top 3 causes of war (or death, if you like) are, women, land, and gold. Since always.

My mama told me that when we wuz 5 year old.

Running out of duct tape would be number 4.
I often think it can all be boiled down to Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll. Especially since money (gold) is an element of all three. But the running out of duct tape- that seems a notable omission!

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
The "what were the top ten causes of death in 2020" was an extra credit question on the take home final.
The top 3 causes of war (or death, if you like) are, women, land, and gold. Since always.

My mama told me that when we wuz 5 year old.

Running out of duct tape would be number 4.
I often think it can all be boiled down to Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll. Especially since money (gold) is an element of all three. But the running out of duct tape- that seems a notable omission!
The world aint been the same since they started pasteurizing beer.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Of course, many people think Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll (plus gambling) are also what drove the development of this internet from its crude early email and data transfer beginnings to the beast that we all enjoy. And I think this is a pretty credible assertion since all of these elements provided strong demand for streaming audio, video, and secure / private financial transactions. So maybe these are all a yin and yang thing, partly building us up while simultaneously destroying us. If nothing else, the world and life are interesting things to ponder.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
India asks social media firms to remove reference to 'Indian variant' of coronavirus

India's information technology (IT) ministry has written to all social media companies asking them to take down any content that refers to an "Indian variant" of the coronavirus, according to a letter issued on Friday which was seen by Reuters.

The World Health Organization said on May 11 that the coronavirus variant B.1.617, first identified in India last year, was being classified as a variant of global concern.

In a letter to social media companies on Friday, the IT ministry asked the companies to "remove all the content" that names or implies "Indian variant" of the coronavirus.

A senior Indian government source told Reuters the notice was issued to send a message "loud and clear" that such mentions of "Indian variant" spread miscommunication and hurt the country's image.

The IT ministry could not be reached for comment.

Around the world, coronavirus variants have generically been referred to by doctors and health experts on the basis of where they are identified. This includes South Africa and Brazil variants.

The Indian government is facing increased criticism over its handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

India has the highest number of Covid-19 cases in the world.

====================================

Unbelievable.... :slap:

·
Grandpa Pete
1,417 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
As someone who is a long time friend here in Colorado who lost four family members to Covid 19 I beg to differ.
I know a guy who lost 6 family members. His family wasn't serious about any of it... poo pooing the idea of a virus taking us all out... until that happened.

Now they take it very very seriously. One of the first to be vaccinated in fact.

And even if you don't die, your body is changed. Many MANY have their heart, lungs and kidneys compromised... in many cases permanently. I had an increase in aches and pains I never had before.... felt like an older-than-old geezer. They couldn't find much wrong with me.... except that my hair started falling out (why do you think I'm wearing a hat in my pic? :rofl: ).

It is NOT "Hey, it's just like getting the flu!"... no way, no sir!

The Chinese vaccine seems to have improved the aches and pains a lot... maybe I'll get my hair back too. I am told hair loss is temporary.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Having close friend working hospital Geneve and hear
Reports, sure glad my wife is vaxed and hopefully me soon as well.
Imagine you are 14 better than average soccer player
and super active life in general, after 2 bouts with C -19
Almost half of former lung capacity lost, maybe to
not come back. Also know this family well, so unhappy for them.
I find myself more and more content doing my own thing
all alone, ones own company should be cherished I M H O!
ukj

Attachments

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yep. Dogs work. Already being tried out at Islamabad International.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57200863

Covid: Sniffer dogs could bolster screening at airports

As part of a trial, dogs were trained to recognise a distinctive odour produced by people with the virus, but undetectable to the human nose.

This could come in useful for screening at airports or mass events.

Dogs can have up to 100,000 times the smelling ability of humans and have long been used to sniff out drugs and explosives.

Recent research has shown dogs - particularly breeds like spaniels and retrievers - can detect the unique scents of diseases including cancer, Parkinson's and malaria.

The dogs were able to sniff out the disease even when it was caused by different variants, and when the person had no symptoms or only had very low levels of the virus in their system.

The real potential advantage is speed: even the quickest tests take 15 minutes to show a result, while dogs can sniff out the disease in seconds.

Two dogs could screen 300 people in half an hour, researchers say.

Woof!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Single dose CanSino vaccine to be available for all citizens by end of May

"The first batch of bulk CanSino vaccine is being processed at the National Institute of Health's plant, which was set up for this purpose last month, and a specially trained team is working on it," according to an official of the ministry of health.

The official added that due to the agreement on technology transfer, the NIH would be able to produce three million doses per month which would significantly reduce the country's dependence on other countries. And this one is a new single dose vaccine, tested and tried successfully. No second dose. That speeds up things a lot.

Right now we have 13 million doses of three different vaccines in storage.

All vaccinations (except for SPUTNIK) are free.

One huge problem is people who still think this virus is a joke/conspiracy and just refuse to get vaccinated.

And there is a special place in H-e-ll for people who upload those magnet videos on youtube and twitter.... you know the ones I am talking of. We all seen those. They just end up confusing people and make them doubt a good thing.

The other problem is we have 4-5 million refugees (Afghans, Burmese, etc) who have no ID. You can't get vaccinated without an ID. But you sure can get sick without one and spread it around like jam on toast.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Well, it looks at though the hypothesis of the Covid-19 (C.C.P) virus very likely having escaped from a research lab in Wuhan, China, is back on the table again - read here (Reuters):

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/wuhan-lab-staff-sought-hospital-care-before-covid-19-outbreak-disclosed-wsj-2021-05-23/

I'm not one to believe in conspiracy theories, but I sure would not put it past the C.C.P to have come up with an elaborate "divide and rule" plan to spread a potentially deadly virus to the rest of the world, after it "accidentally" (yeah, right...) escaped from the Wuhan lab concerned, and was then disseminated by means of blissfully ignorant Chinese travelers flying abroad for holidays - while the C.C.P doubtlessly already had a ready vaccine available to contain the problem in mainland China beyond Wuhan: the deaths in Wuhan (opaque statistics) were merely acceptable collateral damage for the Beijing-based government.

The official explanations as to where the virus originated (bats) are simply not credible, particularly in view of that huge virus research lab located just a few blocks away from the animal market. They're just telling us what suits them.

The purpose of this diabolical plan may have been to unleash absolute chaos primarily in America and Europe, two continents deemed problematic in terms of economic competition for a Chinese leadership determined to establish global economic, political, and military hegemony. Did I say biological warfare covered up by brilliant C.C.P propaganda, and supported by the WHO, an organization that is clearly under the Chinese boot?

I sure hope that was not the case, but I do not have any trust in anything the Chinese government says these days.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
IMG-20210525-WA0001.jpg

Our own vaccine... it's Chinese but made here... no more need to send planes to China. Single dose, latest tech, first of the 2nd generation vaccines. Probably better than the one I got. And is able to handle the bloody Indian-Covid, unlike Pfizer.

Human trials were very successful.

Nice to know it's here in case Covid is still around after a year or two.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
THIS is what govts are afraid of.

Africa donates food to India

Kenya has donated 12 tonnes of food products to India as part of its COVID-19 relief efforts, a statement said on Friday.

The east African country has sent 12 tonnes of tea, coffee and groundnut produced locally to the Indian Red Cross Society, it said adding that the packets will be distributed across Maharashtra with food aid.

"The Government of Kenya wishes to stand in solidarity with the people and Government of India during this time of the COVID-19 pandemic by donating consumable food stuffs," Willy Bett, High Commissioner of the African country to India, said.

Mr. Bett, who came to the financial capital from New Delhi to hand over the food articles, said the donation is directed to the frontline care givers who continue to work long hours to save lives.

=============================

India's economy has been so thoroughly trashed by COVID, AFRICA is now giving food to India!

Covid destroys economies.

581 - 600 of 643 Posts