Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
ahh,ok well the grain willhave to be secondary cause it has a neat shape to it,so if its tough enough i guess i will give it a go,see what happens.Thanks to All for the input,
Worth it to make it and see how it turns out, especially if it has an interresting shape to start out. One of my naturals has almost no visible grain and i adore it.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,162 Posts
not sure if this is the right place for this question ,but,here goes.any natural slingmakers out there ever work with crepe myrtle forks?found a nice big fork and was wondering if it would be worth while or if its to soft? thanks for any info.
skarrd, I've never used it for a slingshot....YET....but I have done some wood turned vessels from it on the lathe, and it sands / polishes up very nice, and is a very tight grained and hard wood....imho.

I do see a whole LOT of nicely shaped natural forks in Crepe Myrtle bushes everywhere I look, and will eventually get some to work with.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,162 Posts
ahh,ok well the grain willhave to be secondary cause it has a neat shape to it,so if its tough enough i guess i will give it a go,see what happens.Thanks to All for the input,
skarrd, one thing you could try to give it some " character " and maybe make the grain pop a bit, is to lightly roast it with a propane torch after you've done your final grit of sanding, then buff it with a green Scotch brite pad and put an good oil finish like BLO or Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
final 320 sandings and 2nd coats of polyurthane,3rd coat is drying now and this thing is Beautiful,if i say so myself,and i do.it has a very simple grain pattern and some *colors* as well,much prettier than i thought it would be,i will have the woman take some pics with her camera/phone when its finshed[hers is a much better camera] and banded/

Attachments

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
That cleaned up real nice! I really like how it turned out.

Here's my little quick and dirty crepe myrtle bb shooter. I was going to try a CA finish on it, but I might just do a good ole polyurathane since it looks so nice on your crepe myrtle fork.

Hand Natural material Body jewelry Finger Gesture

Attachments

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you,here she is all finished up,still my crappy camera,the woman had an early day at work today so,,,,, i love that BB shooter with the thumb brace,very cool.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.