Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an old guy. I've been cutting my own bands and using elk hide to make pouches for years. Long ago I worked out the details to get the leather to form a permanent cup and so have had no shedding of the ball and hence have not had a fork hit in years. But I'm getting tired of cutting my own bands.

Joey jfive Lujan made me a beautiful custom slingshot a bit ago (amazing craftsman) that came with a couple of pre-cut bands with synthetic pouches. I was impressed with how well they shot 5/16 and so I mounted the extra on a bb-shooter sized chalice that I had that was made of layered wood. A little work of art. I put a 7/16 ball in it (maybe not the best of ideas) and got the first fork hit I've had in a long time. It destroyed the chalice.

So I tried something that worked:

I bought some pre-cut bands with synthetic pouches and, taking one, I put a 5/16 ball in it and pulled the pouch tight around the ball.

Next, I positioned the pouch so the back of the pouch was pointing downwards towards the floor and passed a lighter flame several times across and around the gathered pouch. Not enough heat to melt it but enough to warm it up a bit and leave a little bit of soot on it.

Letting it cool for a few seconds, I removed the ball and the result was a permanently cupped pouch that was not weakened it at all.

I shot a hundred or so shots over the weekend using both 5/16 and 7/16 without incident.

I have since "cupped several other pouches as well (two different brands and widths) using the same technique. The cup shape and the soot left on the lighter colored pouches has the added benefit of helping to easily orient the pouch for the next shot.

·
Neophyte
2,122 Posts
That is truly neat. When you say synthetic do you mean the microfiber ones?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I'm an old guy. I've been cutting my own bands and using elk hide to make pouches for years. Long ago I worked out the details to get the leather to form a permanent cup and so have had no shedding of the ball and hence have not had a fork hit in years. But I'm getting tired of cutting my own bands.

Joey jfive Lujan made me a beautiful custom slingshot a bit ago (amazing craftsman) that came with a couple of pre-cut bands with synthetic pouches. I was impressed with how well they shot 5/16 and so I mounted the extra on a bb-shooter sized chalice that I had that was made of layered wood. A little work of art. I put a 7/16 ball in it (maybe not the best of ideas) and got the first fork hit I've had in a long time. It destroyed the chalice.

So I tried something that worked:

I bought some pre-cut bands with synthetic pouches and, taking one, I put a 5/16 ball in it and pulled the pouch tight around the ball.

Next, I positioned the pouch so the back of the pouch was pointing downwards towards the floor and passed a lighter flame several times across and around the gathered pouch. Not enough heat to melt it but enough to warm it up a bit and leave a little bit of soot on it.

Letting it cool for a few seconds, I removed the ball and the result was a permanently cupped pouch that was not weakened it at all.

I shot a hundred or so shots over the weekend using both 5/16 and 7/16 without incident.

I have since "cupped several other pouches as well (two different brands and widths) using the same technique. The cup shape and the soot left on the lighter colored pouches has the added benefit of helping to easily orient the pouch for the next shot.
good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Nice!! I have seen a video where they get it real hot and actually burn a "pit" in the pouch.. I will try the way you did it .. sounds very handy! .. glad you like the build I made for ya ! .. post some pics if you can .. I wasnt sure if you wanted me to so I left it up to you :) .. those are my favorite pouches..light ... no stretch .. and I have NEVER broke one .. they seem like the spot where the band holds would break because its thin.. but it wont !! Amazing stuff really!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Ух ты! Я уже пробовал его, и мне понравилось, спасибо за совет!
Registered 5 posts LocationRussia Posted Today, 02:41 AM Wow! I already tried it and I liked it, thanks for the advice!

Registered 5 posts LocationRussia Posted Today, 02:41 AM Wow! I already tried it and I liked it, thanks for the advice!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts