Slingshots Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

· Registered
882 Posts
No more excuses not to make a fork with this technique. Very informative and well discribed. Thanks for sharing.

· Registered
85 Posts
ZDP, GREAT tutorial! Thanks for sharing your methods with us....

You are spot on about not clamping too tightly. You want to leave some reason in the cloth. Otherwise you end up with lots of nasty little cloth fluff when sanding and your strength decreases.

I'd like to see some of your knife work!

Tom

· Premium Member
716 Posts
Dan,

I genuinely admire your attention to detail, technical finesse, pride in workmanship, artistry, innovative spirit, and willingness to mentor others in the same. The ability to take a relatively mundane skill (fiberglassing in this instance), and use it to create works of art, is a talent that belongs to a select minority.

The human race would benefit greatly from more people like you. In fact, we should probably clone you.

Cheers.

· Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
ZDP, GREAT tutorial! Thanks for sharing your methods with us....

You are spot on about not clamping too tightly. You want to leave some reason in the cloth. Otherwise you end up with lots of nasty little cloth fluff when sanding and your strength decreases.

I'd like to see some of your knife work!

Tom
Tom Krein? THE Tom Krein? To heck with my knife making, show us yours!

· Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
A friend on here PMed to ask what to do with a homemade board that had lost its shine.

My answer may be useful to others:

" I suspect that you have either under soaked or over pressed the material, squishing out the resin from the fibres. The press is just used to get the plate even, not to press out the viral resin. It may have affected the strength of the sheet and you should test an off cut to failure. If you decide to proceed with this board, you will have to re-gelcoat it. Add a layer of resin (do not re-clamp) and sand smooth once that gets fully hard."

· Premium Member
615 Posts
Fantastic Tutorial !!!!! Look forward to more of the same, if you would. Thanks for opening a whole new area for us to play in.

Al

· Rule #14
1,419 Posts
Dan i gave it ago......
It's around 4-5mm think, which is thick enough for the scales i am going to make for the "Can Opener"
This Polyester resin is really nasty stuff, It melted my latex gloves and my hands are stinging like it's on fire.
Hope it was worth it haha.

Paper Micarta, Blue and Orange layers.

Thanks for the excellent tutorial, very detailed and easy to follow.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.