Slingshots Forum banner

Cutting, drying and carving antlers.

Tags
antlers
2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bj000 
#1 ·
Hi guys, please I'd like to know about your experience if it's better to carve an antler freshly cut and still wet with a knife, then dry it before carving with rasp and sand paper or if it's better to dry it first and work on it after that. I've seen that differents woods react in various ways. I'm asking that because after I dried a blackthorn antler and while I was carving it with rasp it cracked. It was a pity, I was really sorry, but I'd like to learn from this accident. Thanks in advance, cheers. Bob.

#2 ·
ive always microwaved mine for 2-3 minutes,then let it cool.once cool to the touch i start working them.i always cut over size to compensate for the splitting if it does occur,made nigh on a hundred this way and never had problems

(strip bark before microwaving)

my 2 pence worth

marcus sr

#3 ·
I usually dry in the oven at 50-70° celsius for 30-40 minutes, two o three times before carving. Still cut oversize like you do for the same reasons. I don't understand why the blackthorn cracked after it was quite dry since I had left it for few days. Weel, it happens. Thanks for your tips. Cheers, Bob.

#4 ·
ive used the oven before,200 for an hour then switched off,left them to cool in the oven,that worked for me also.as for the blackthorn,i personally would have only hit that for 2 minutes,only the once,then i tend to leave them for 2-3 days to harden.my shillelaghs i dry naturally for 6 months sometime s a year,fraustrating but thas how it goes,love the iron qualities of blackthorn

marcus sr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.