Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to bandsaws and I want to cut out an aluminum core from some 8mm aluminum plate which I have. I have two questions for those more experienced at this kind of thing than me.

1) Is it possible or advisable to reverse out of a cut when cutting aluminum plate. I would be shutting down the machine before reversing of course.

2)When cutting curves in wood, the technique of cutting "relief cuts" is used to take the pressure off the blade. Does this technique work for cutting curves in aluminum?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
You can reverse out of a cut in aluminum. I usually leave the saw running when I do so, as it hlps clear the chips out of the cut, which otherwise bind the blade.

Certainly cutting relief cuts when cutting sharp curves is a good idea. It does tend to waste a bit of material, but that is better than breaking a blade.

Aluminum is a very soft metal, and generally speaking, wood working techniques work with aluminum.

Cheers ..... Charles

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can reverse out of a cut in aluminum. I usually leave the saw running when I do so, as it hlps clear the chips out of the cut, which otherwise bind the blade.

Certainly cutting relief cuts when cutting sharp curves is a good idea. It does tend to waste a bit of material, but that is better than breaking a blade.

Aluminum is a very soft metal, and generally speaking, wood working techniques work with aluminum.

Cheers ..... Charles
That's great! Thanks for that.

· Premium Member
252 Posts
A wood working type bandsaw runs very fast for cutting Aluminum. It can be done but it makes a lot of heat. The heat can causes small tension changes in the blade which can cause the blades to derail and /or crack. Narrow Blades (1/4") have more problems than wider blades (1/2") but wide blades wont make the tight radiuses for as slingshot. Best technique is to drill holes all around the perimeter of your slingshot, then connect the dots. You will still need to make some relief cuts. And keep the stock cool.

· HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
7,735 Posts
wear gloves, roping gloves or mechanix gloves are doable. use a fine file to clean the burrs left. just take it a bit slow and easy it cuts easily than you think and be sure to clean off the blade after your done.

· Super Moderator
7,216 Posts
Charles and Bikermike gave you sound advice Cave. Drill small (1/4"5/16")holes at all the inside and outsdie turns, that will keep back cuts to a minimum,and keep the blade running when backing off a cut for any relief cuts. I'll attach a picture of one I made. I used 3/4" thick Aluminum which was real over kill. Way too much metal. I would use 1/2" thick at the max if I did it again. Also,my blade was running very hot so I sprayed a little WD-40 which cooled and cleared the blade. Go slow and you'll have a nice frame for yourself! Flatband

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.