Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Make mark on mini funnel , chuck up mini funnel in drill press , use Xacto or Excel saw blade , turn on drill press , use both hands holding saw blade and rest your wrists or hands on drill press table and press saw blade lightly to funnel. It takes about 5 to10 seconds to cut funnel. Turn off drill press. Check diameter with calipers or piece of .625 tubing while it's in the chuck. If you need to take more off , turn on drill press and use a smooth flat file to take off cone material. Use light pressure when cutting with saw you don't want to get in a hurry and push too hard.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
That is a genius idea! Much better than holding the funnel in one hand and a Dremel cutting wheel in the other hand and trying to spin it with my fingers evenly. I'm going to have to try that I just broke one of my cones.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Just tried this method, put my cordless drill on the dining room table with the funnel cone tightened down and just give it a really good high-speed Spin and put my exacto knife up to it and it cut a perfect circle! Then I kept it in place and hit it with sandpaper until I got it exactly the perfect fit. This method was clean I had a perfect cone shape and it Shoots Great!!

Thanks for sharing this method not sure why I didn't think of it sooner but glad I know how to do it now.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Here is a picture of what I have changed out so far. As I get better I am damaging more and more of my cones, so I am taking only 3 shots on each target. Starting to get good at my breath so my shots are really finding here mark. I really like these cones, I will be adding some color to the back edge to make them easier to see.

cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
You can easily see the first cones I made on the right 3 and the left 3 look a lot better. I will confirm that all the cones are very accurate even if some of them don't look so nice.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Having made several funnel cones I have modified the process. I put the Dremel in a vice grip and then put a 3/16 inch dowel in the back of the funnel and turn the Dremel on and spin the funnel at the right distance to make a perfectly round cut that takes about 5 seconds. Then I put the funnel cone in the cordless drill turn it on high and use different grits of sandpaper to get it to fit the barrel perfectly. It doesn't take much to go past perfect so it can be a little time-consuming to get it just right. But when it is just right they fly exceptionally well and are much sturdier than the cold steel cones. And only way about a tenth of a gram more than the standard Cold steel cones.

I have just been using these funnel cones now instead of the stock cones since these last better and work very well. I also found some bright red and orange fingernail polish at the dollar store and I paint the inside of the cone so that it can be seen easily.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.