Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not heard of it yet but I wonder if it is illegal to defend yourself with a slingshot ? I seem to recall someone getting into a legal battle because they defended their store with a compound bow this was many years ago.

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,434 Posts
I have not heard of it yet but I wonder if it is illegal to defend yourself with a slingshot ? I seem to recall someone getting into a legal battle because they defended their store with a compound bow this was many years ago.
I dont know. But if someone were breaking into my house you bet I would shoot them. That is if I couldnt get to my guns or bows for some reason.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I can legally defend myself with a firearm, but not with a slingshot? That would be insanely stupid. Which means, sure, some insanely stupid politician has probably gotten a law like this on the books somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
It all depends on local law. In Panama, lethal force is generally justified if the assailant is inside your home. Slingshots are unregulated, but you can certainly get in trouble by misusing one.

Henry

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Self defense is a serious issue. It can safe your life, but also bring lots of trouble.

I recommend Massad Ayoob's "In The Gravest Extreme", available at Amazon.

A slingshot is not a very good weapon for self defense, use it only if there is no better alternative. Giving your TV and PC to the intruder is a good alternative, too. Better to bother with insurance paperwork than facing jail time. If you kill someone, you are a perp, not a vic.

Jörg

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Self defense is a serious issue. It can safe your life, but also bring lots of trouble.I recommend Massad Ayoob's "In The Gravest Extreme", available at Amazon. A slingshot is not a very good weapon for self defense, use it only if there is no better alternative. Giving your TV and PC to the intruder is a good alternative, too. Better to bother with insurance paperwork than facing jail time. If you kill someone, you are a perp, not a vic.Jörg
who's to say they are after your p.c or tv. it could be you your wife or children I would not want to wait to find out. I reccommend Geoff thompsons watch my back.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Self defense is a serious issue. It can safe your life, but also bring lots of trouble.I recommend Massad Ayoob's "In The Gravest Extreme", available at Amazon. A slingshot is not a very good weapon for self defense, use it only if there is no better alternative. Giving your TV and PC to the intruder is a good alternative, too. Better to bother with insurance paperwork than facing jail time. If you kill someone, you are a perp, not a vic.Jörg
who's to say they are after your p.c or tv. it could be you your wife or children I would not want to wait to find out. I reccommend Geoff thompsons watch my back.
[/quote]

If they want my ex wife they can have her and I'll trhrow in the computer and TV, and maybe a free set of lugage...a slingshot and a bag of marbles....my car...can't do more thats all she left me with...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
who's to say they are after your p.c or tv. it could be you your wife or children I would not want to wait to find out. I reccommend Geoff thompsons watch my back.[/quote]
If they want my ex wife they can have her and I'll trhrow in the computer and TV, and maybe a free set of lugage...a slingshot and a bag of marbles....my car...can't do more thats all she left me with...
[/quote]
I need the wife to cook and clean amongst other things and my sons I also need not now but later on in life when im dribbling and cant look after myself.These are assetts that cant be replaced with insurance.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you kill someone, you are a perp, not a vic.
This kind of thinking depends on where you live. I am happy to be living in a place where this is not the rule. Circumstances are looked at. Initially, yes, you will probably be handcuffed and treated somewhat as a perp. That would just be the police trying to secure the scene during an unknown situation. I would expect that type of treatment initially until things are sorted out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sticky situation but if it came to it I have a lot more toys and a lot more knowledge of hand to hand and would advise that knowledge is power,
would not grab slingshot,

but be aware

the law apears to be on the side of the criminal.....................

Justice?

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Here it is legal to defend your home and family with deadly force if need be.We all hope it never comes down to that.If some thug breaks into my home when I am there I will not give him my TV or anything else for that matter.If I have a gun in my hand I will give him a chance to do as I say or get shot.That would be his only choice.His future would be in his hands.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Just had a case in Indiana (on TV) fella blew away a burglar that was threatening family and looting his house-In Indiana is legal to defend your home and family with deadly force, he was awarded a ATTABOY by law officials, job well done

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Jay, if you are that determined, you just have to read Ayoob's book. It is full of important advise about how to act if you have just killed an intruder.

Remember "if need be" is the key word. You will have to prove that this was indeed the case. Ex cop Ayoob knows how.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Jorg
Thanks for the advice but I already know how.Alot of laws have changed in the last few years and a lot determines where you live.Years back I had the misfortune to have to shoot someone in my house.I was NOT arrested.I was defending myself in my own home.It is legal here to defend yourself in your own home or anywhere else you are threatened.Why should it be any other way.Any other way gives the thugs licence to do what they want.What good does it do to say get out of my house or I'll call the police.The police can't be every where.In the Watt's riots the police told people they had to protect themselfs.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I believe every law abiding sane citizen should carry a gun.I consider a gun like a spare tire on your car.You carry one everywhere you go and hope you never have to use it.But when you need it you have it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Jay, if you are that determined, you just have to read Ayoob's book. It is full of important advise about how to act if you have just killed an intruder.

Remember "if need be" is the key word. You will have to prove that this was indeed the case. Ex cop Ayoob knows how.
You have to realize that the different states in the US are really governed like different countries. One state allows you to chase the guy down the street and shoot him and others (like California) you have to prove that your life or the lives of your loved ones were in imminent danger.

I went to a hunters safety class with my wife and an officer/ teacher told us that if you shoot an intruder in your house in CA, and you are in the right, it will cost an average of 70K to defend yourself.

I have a few lines of defense. One, two big dogs. Two reinforced door and windows. Three , a nice bull pup 12 gage with a flashlight zeroed in with bird shot for the first two rounds. (less likely to pop a hole in the wall ad get someone else in my family). Oh and bird shot from 5 yards will finish anyone!

If they want my TV, fine. If they come back to were my girls and I sleep, not fine!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.