Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

What would be the definition of accuracy with a slingshot? What do the best shots achieve over and over again? And, at what range.

As example, with air rifles, i shoot comps at 20 yards and am at a reasonable level, anything outside the 9 ring is a problem.

For bench testing air rifles, i look for a .177 to group 10 shots in a single hole at 30yd. (normally .22 won't group so well as .177)

So what should we be looking to achieve with slingshotd and at what range? I'm currently shooting slingshots at around 20 yards and whilst i can hit a ber can most of the time, its probably more likely i would hit a football size target all of the time.

Look forward to your thoughts..

Cheers

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I would say you need to be able to hit a 1 1/2" target at 33" especially if you plan on competing. Most competitions have at least some events at 10 meters (33"). The smallest target is around 1 1/2" I believe, In the U.S. we also have events at 20 meters, hit a gong at 75", shoot at targets in trees as if you are hunting, Dennis the Menace shoots, speed shoots, pickle fork competitions etc. Some events count for your overall score, some are just for fun.They don't seem to do these in other countries.

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
I would say you need to be able to hit a 1 1/2" target at 33" especially if you plan on competing. Most competitions have at least some events at 10 meters (33"). The smallest target is around 1 1/2" I believe, In the U.S. we also have events at 20 meters, hit a gong at 75", shoot at targets in trees as if you are hunting, Dennis the Menace shoots, speed shoots, pickle fork competitions etc. Some events count for your overall score, some are just for fun.They don't seem to do these in other countries.
Better wear safety glasses if you are shooting at a target only 33" away. Just being picky....I know what you meant to type.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The purpose of shooting a slingshot (for me) is to hunt small game when and if I choose to.

With that in mind, I am very happy when I can shoot my hunting rig (which has sufficient power to make a clean kill on my quarry), and hit a 1&1/2" target, 8 out of 10 times, at 33 feet (as Grandpa Grumpy said).

I find that accuracy and power diminish below acceptable levels at distances much beyond 15 yards (for my purposes).

·
Registered
927 Posts
I think it is two for top shooters:

A tip of a needle at 10 meters for peak accuracy.

10-15 consecutive hits at 10 meters at a 3/4" or 20mil target for measure precision.

I can cut cards and have a few consecutive hits at a 30mil spinner, but I'm mostly a builder and enthusiast.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
It really boils down to the question as to whether you are seeking to win slingshot competitions, or whether you merely want to have fun shooting at larger targets. I mostly shoot to achieve tight groups with 8 mm (0.31 inch) ammo, but also have my "magnum" days with .50 caliber steel ammo, where the impact sound and perforated particle board is what I'm looking for (perfect stress relief, trust me :D).

In practice, competitions require you to hit drop-down metal discs placed at 10 meters (33 feet), the smallest of which is 4 cm (1.5 inches) wide. This is perfectly achievable with the correct shooting techniques, slingshot setup, and lots of practice, yet one needs to take into account the imposed 3 minutes time limit for a 5 shot string (this is how it was at Gualdo Tadino, Italy) and the significant anxiety factor linked to competitions. Arguably, some slingshots will be easier to shoot accurately for this specific purpose.

Constantly trying to achieve tight groups is challenging and satisfying, but can also become very frustrating certain days: your mind needs to be absolutely focused on the task to do well. If you're tired or are having a bad day, this will not be the case. Those are clearly the moments when it's wise to set up a couple of tin cans purely for the fun factor, with less emphasis on total precision. The key issue is being able to group tightly when this is required.

Ultimately, shooting your slingshot should be a fun experience to take your mind off the daily grind (or whatever).

·
Registered
185 Posts
My 10 yard target is usually a plastic golfball and for 20 yards I shoot at pop cans. I try to improve the number of consecutive hits. These targets have reaction, make noise and show accuracy.
I just rigged up a golf ball today, drilled a hole right through it and used some wire to hang it, makes a satisfying "clunk" when hit and a good size at 10 yards.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi All

What would be the definition of accuracy with a slingshot? What do the best shots achieve over and over again? And, at what range.

As example, with air rifles, i shoot comps at 20 yards and am at a reasonable level, anything outside the 9 ring is a problem.

For bench testing air rifles, i look for a .177 to group 10 shots in a single hole at 30yd. (normally .22 won't group so well as .177)

So what should we be looking to achieve with slingshotd and at what range? I'm currently shooting slingshots at around 20 yards and whilst i can hit a ber can most of the time, its probably more likely i would hit a football size target all of the time.

Cheers
You'd think this would be a good place to discuss accuracy with a slingshot. I've tried several times and I get similar replies to what you're getting here. Some useful answers, but a lot of, "Just have fun," and "You're taking it too seriously," or the jokes about hitting a fly at 50 meters. I think this is because most people shooting slingshots enjoy other aspects of it more than trying to be the best shot they can be. More power to them. Collecting them, building them, talking about them - all those are fun. My interest is in getting to be the best shot I can be.

Let me tell you what little I know about this. First, I've been shooting for about 15 months. During that time I think I've averaged about 100 shots per day. That's probably a conservative estimate. Sometimes on the weekends, I'm pretty sure I shoot 1000 or more shots. I have an outdoor range and an indoor range, both at 10 meters. I shoot a bit farther than that sometimes.

Here's my rough stats: I hit the 3cm target about 30% of the time. I hit the 4cm target about 50%. I hit the 5cm target about 70 to 80 percent. By coincidence I just reached out to Ray Bazonski - he's well-known in the slingshot World as a great marksman - to have this very conversation. We spoke on the phone. His assessment is that I'm doing pretty well with those numbers.

I analyzed the numbers in the World Cup in Italy and what I came up with is that the top 10 competitors hit the 4cm target about 50 to 60% of the time. Now, though my percentages are similar, they don't compare, because mine were achieved in my back yard, relaxed, with no one watching. Theirs were under competitive conditions. My percentages drop by half if even my family is watching.

Here's a great way to compare yourself against the best:

https://simple-shot.com/simpleshot-blog/iscor-international-slingshot-and-catapult-online-rankings/

Hope that helps, and it's great to have someone else out there on a search for accuracy.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hi All

Cheers
You'd think this would be a good place to discuss accuracy with a slingshot. I've tried several times and I get similar replies to what you're getting here. Some useful answers, but a lot of, "Just have fun," and "You're taking it too seriously," or the jokes about hitting a fly at 50 meters. I think this is because most people shooting slingshots enjoy other aspects of it more than trying to be the best shot they can be. More power to them. Collecting them, building them, talking about them - all those are fun. My interest is in getting to be the best shot I can be.

Let me tell you what little I know about this. First, I've been shooting for about 15 months. During that time I think I've averaged about 100 shots per day. That's probably a conservative estimate. Sometimes on the weekends, I'm pretty sure I shoot 1000 or more shots. I have an outdoor range and an indoor range, both at 10 meters. I shoot a bit farther than that sometimes.

Here's my rough stats: I hit the 3cm target about 30% of the time. I hit the 4cm target about 50%. I hit the 5cm target about 70 to 80 percent. By coincidence I just reached out to Ray Bazonski - he's well-known in the slingshot World as a great marksman - to have this very conversation. We spoke on the phone. His assessment is that I'm doing pretty well with those numbers.

I analyzed the numbers in the World Cup in Italy and what I came up with is that the top 10 competitors hit the 4cm target about 50 to 60% of the time. Now, though my percentages are similar, they don't compare, because mine were achieved in my back yard, relaxed, with no one watching. Theirs were under competitive conditions. My percentages drop by half if even my family is watching.

Here's a great way to compare yourself against the best:

https://simple-shot.com/simpleshot-blog/iscor-international-slingshot-and-catapult-online-rankings/

Hope that helps, and it's great to have someone else out there on a search for accuracy.
There are sub forums on shooting and competition that may be better suited to the type of discussion you're looking for.

·
Registered
566 Posts
And I would urge you to dig around a bit more on the forum. Been some very engaged, fruitful conversations over the years relating to all aspects of marksmanship. I wish there was some kind of definitive index where all the pearls were gathered, but sadly there ain’t.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
It's really simple.

If you are truly going for accuracy then you need to experiment and use the the best setup for your personal feel and the way you shoot.... I mean there's a reason so many slingshot designs exist now... sure, some are made purely for market reasons, but the genesis of those designs was developed to increase ergonomics and accuracy.... and as we progress even more designs are evolving with the intent of taking advantage of certain ergonomic principles to increase accuracy potential.

Heck, from right here on this forum, members have increased the ultimate accuracy potential of a "World Class" performance 10 years ago being able to hit a 10cm target 10 times at 10 meters, to now you have to be able to hit a 3cm target 10 times in a row to even be considered a serious threat.

My thoughts on accuracy are... with the right equipment and some serious practice, in the future you'll basically have to be able to "one hole" 10 shots in a row to be competitive on the world stage.

BUT, if you just want to know how you stand against the majority of shooters who really aren't all that serious about ultimate accuracy... then if you can plug a can 10 times in a row from 10 meters or so, then you're doing pretty good... and by the standards of the past, pretty close to "World Class"!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's really simple.

If you are truly going for accuracy then you need to experiment and use the the best setup for your personal feel and the way you shoot.... I mean there's a reason so many slingshot designs exist now... sure, some are made purely for market reasons, but the genesis of those designs was developed to increase ergonomics and accuracy.... and as we progress even more designs are evolving with the intent of taking advantage of certain ergonomic principles to increase accuracy potential.

Heck, from right here on this forum, members have increased the ultimate accuracy potential of a "World Class" performance 10 years ago being able to hit a 10cm target 10 times at 10 meters, to now you have to be able to hit a 3cm target 10 times in a row to even be considered a serious threat.

My thoughts on accuracy are... with the right equipment and some serious practice, in the future you'll basically have to be able to "one hole" 10 shots in a row to be competitive on the world stage.

BUT, if you just want to know how you stand against the majority of shooters who really aren't all that serious about ultimate accuracy... then if you can plug a can 10 times in a row from 10 meters or so, then you're doing pretty good... and by the standards of the past, pretty close to "World Class"!
Thanks Bill. And thanks to all have replied.

I guess Bills response is the kind of guidance / opinion i had in mind. I compete with rifles to a reasonable standard and would like to enter a few slingshot comps where i can - it gives me something to aim for and reason to practice and see real achievement and improvement.

For now, a bean can at 20 yards isn't safe.

3cm target at 10m, ok now i have a clear mark to aim for.

Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.